Oil or grease

hoss897

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a beaver knee mill. This machine is fitted with zerk fittings at every lubrication point.
I have seen this in the past and every machine had "use oil" tags or "grease only" tags on them.
I was always told, if in doubt use oil.
Thoughts?
Way lube for x,y,z is what I'm thinking. Not sure about the lead screws, ram slide or head angle ways.
This machine was definitely well greased when I pulled it apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_112423.jpg
    IMG_20231214_112423.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 48
Good lord!
And it seems to me you can see where the grease trapped grit/dirt/swarf/whatever and used it as a lapping compound.
Use oil so all that can get flushed out.

I’m dealing with this currently and have dealt with it in the past. My Steinel mill was bought for peanuts as the grease used had hardened from sitting and broke the gib screws and locked up the head.

For the love of god please use oil.

img_3865-jpeg.469865

For those that have no idea how to oil machinery when you see a zert fitting.....
Here you go. It looks just like this You can buy them without the lines.
Just fill it with way oil.

In general, oil where you can easily access on a regular basis, grease where it’s difficult to get to. [if it isn't easy for you to get at, it's probably not easy for swarf to get there either, so grease isn't as much of a problem – but don't forget to check periodically]

Never a good idea to use excessive amounts.

Last edited:
I will use oil on everything after this machine is reassembled.
I just pulled off the knee and flipped it over to disassemble and clean and found the push lube canisters inside it.

Attachments

• 20231214_160526.jpg
    20231214_160526.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 13
I will use oil on everything after this machine is reassembled.
I just pulled off the knee and flipped it over to disassemble and clean and found the push lube canisters inside it.
At least the previous owner knew where to find them?

Back