Okay, pop quiz, which model Colchester/Clausing lathe is this?

I ultimately decided not to look at it. The older the lathe is, the more important I think it is that critical parts can be obtained, which to me means sticking to US-made lathes. This particular (UK-built) model has a couple design issues, such as not having any metric threading ability (per the UK lathe info site). It's not a big deal now, but might be later.

From what I've read the metric threading issue is not a deal-breaker, you just need a pair of conversion gears and most any imperial lathe can cut metric.
The real deal-breaker would of course be the expensive spindle bearings if they are bad but that's true with many used lathes- you just check it carefully before you buy

Last edited:
Thats funny.....mine is a brother to that one,and it has metric at the flick of a lever.No extra gears needed..............and as to lathe parts ....if it aint Chinese,parts cost more than any old lathe is worth,no matter what the brand......The secret is to carefully inspect the machine before flashing yer wad,and use the spares as a beatdown point........As to bearings,with a slight modification ,there are several options to use standard taper roller bearings.......all of which I have done over the years......PS the Master I have now cost me zero to acquire,and then the cost of a couple of standard taper rollers......And the machine has a strange history,it was nicked bit by bit from the gubmint......dunno how he got the bed home........he also nicked a Weiler lathe in bits ,which ended up out in the weather when he died.......I might add,he also had five Manx Nortons,and tons of parts......which I didnt get.

Back