[Bandsaw] Old bandsaw

Nice saw. Looks easy enough to gear down or add a transmission to. I have a drill press of the same mfg. they sure built stuff to last back then.

Nice saw. Looks easy enough to gear down or add a transmission to. I have a drill press of the same mfg. they sure built stuff to last back then.

I would like to add a transmission to my band saw any ideas on what kind and where to find one

Very Nice Saw

That's quite a beauty you have there. I can't read the name plate, but I've seen that same graceful curved frame on Crescent saws. The upper guide is intriguing with the side supports--there appear to be a pair--below the back support wheel rather than straddling it.

Looks to have about a 10" depth of cut. I hope you're tempted to use it as a resaw. For my money, slow it to 3,000 fpm and find 5hp to put behind it. Congratulations.

Doesn't that type of beauty take your breath away?

I have a thought, and please correct me if it is off the wall, but wouldn't a step pulley arrangement like on older lathes
work on this beast? Seems it would be a low cost mod if $$$ are an issue.
I've alway thought of doing that to my golden oldie but haven't gotten around to it yet.

_Dan

A small lawn tractor trans might work and could be found for cheap $$$

I like the new interest in the saw but sadly I still have not found time to fix. I have it on my mind to set it up for metal as I have some large cast iron I want to saw. I have gotten a gearbox that I think will slow it to the right speed. I will have to retire the wheels and get another blade. So many things to do and too little time. I will be 57 in August and shop is still not finnished.

tommie

Back