Old Compressor Followed Me Home

rafe

Active User
Registered
My neighbor was given an old 60gal CAMPBELL HAUSFELD (extreme duty)compressor dated 97 and when he plugged it in it blew sparks out the centrifugal side and the wall box. He didn't want to mess with it and found a working compressor. I however needed another project(NOT) but it seems like a good candidate for repair.
At some point I'll open it up and see if the problem is obvious and the damage repairable. It looks like a decent compressor with a twin cyl. cast iron pump ..Made in USA too....I like that . I have a decent compressor. A puma, maybe 25 gal ....which is adequate for my shop but this would be better and takes up less space because it's vertical, plus I'll mount it outside. I am hoping to find a scorched spider inside and no other damage , is that asking to much? The compressor was free ...pretty good deal

You lucky dog, even if you have to do something with the motor that is still a good deal. if you are going to put it outside , either put a roof over it, or get a motor that is sealed, and still put some kind of shield over the intake so it will not suck in some extra water if it rains or something. Just a thought. Again good for you.

My neighbor was given an old 60gal CAMPBELL HAUSFELD (extreme duty)compressor dated 97.................................but it seems like a good candidate for repair.

Hi rafe,

Nice deal, and hopefully just a simple fix inside the motor, maybe the centrifugal switch.

Be sure the tank is safe before pressurizing it!
Did it have an automatic water drain? (when the pressure get below ~10psi it vents thru the bottom of the tank to blow the condensed water out.)

Every time my compressor (under my bench) turns on I think of a story I read about a guy losing his legs when his tank exploded.
Be wary of of pressure vessels with an unknown history.

I found those small-bore inspection scopes great for looking at the inside of the tanks.

play safe!
-brino

Thanks Ken, Yup i'll protect it well. It never ceases to amaze me what comes my way.
Thanks Brino
Another reason to keep it outside....I'm hoping and thinking it's that switch.....

those old c-h pumps are great. throw in a set of valve discs, change oil and clean the intake filter thing and its ready for another 15 years.

I opened up the motor today and it appears as if a spider caused the short! There was a good sized spider still alive in there and parts of another, it fried the windings to some extent ....I don't know if that is something I can repair although I think not ....It's a shame because the bearings are fine and the motor looks nice inside.If someone on here know about such things let me know. I guess the lesson here is to at least blow it out before you power it up , although If he had , I'd not have it! I have options, one of which is to use it as an auxiliary tank on the compressor I'm using now. It has the beef just a smaller tank. That's probably the best and cheapest option.....bite 015.JPG

You should be able to have the motor rewind. If it is to costly might find a good replacement. Good luck.

Free is a price that can't be beat! In the Chicago area, I see used compressor motors for sale on Craigslist because the cheap compressor head gave out. They're usually in the $25-$50 range. Since you already have a good working compressor, you can bide your time and wait for the right one to come along at the right price. In the meantime, if you tinker with the existing motor and get it to work, that's even better!

GG

Let me throw my two cents in here!! The spider would not cause the short since it is NOT grounded. Check to see if moisture got in there and caused the problem. Somtimes one can re-varnish the windings and you'll be good to go. My suggestion if I may, is to call Cambell-Hausfeld and talk to them about the Motor. They Usually have a few Old Ones laying around that you might pick up cheap. BTW - they are GREAT People and are willing to help!!

Take care and good luck.

Ron, w6br

I took out the armature today. There were a few single mud dauber nests and two mummified lizards, The centrifugal switch was stuck and it took some cleaning and lube to free it up. little rust inside but not much ....I think the spider was just parts of an old carcass in there and like you said not the cause. I cleand it out real good and varnished the winding's. I have 5 posts on it two are jumped together and two were black and white ( line 1&2) out. I'll check out the readings tomorrow

Back