Old Delta Induction Motor...

tcweb

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I could use some pointers - I'm trying to pull apart this old Delta induction motor just to clean it and check the bearings.
I managed to tap the rear bell housing and loosen it (some penetrant helped).
Now I have it loose, and can get a small screwdriver tip in there, but I'm not wanting to pry on it and risk damaging the housing.

The rear bell housing also has a shaft coming through it, so I assume there are bearings pressed on the shaft.

Any tips on pulling motor housings apart safely? I really don't want to hurt the motor. Other than some slightly noisy bearings, it seems to work fine.

-Tomdelta motor2.jpgdelta motor.jpg

What you have is a repulsion/induction motor. It's an early form of an induction motor. Now a days, induction motors are started up with a start capacitor or an extra winding. The motor that you have uses brushes to start the motor using the repulsive force. To start the motor, the brushes are mechanically engaged. Once, the motor is up to speed, the brushes are mechanically disengaged. The motor can start in the reverse by rotating the brushes (I believe 90 degrees). I have seen these motors, but I have never worked on one. One problem that you may have is trying to find a shop to work on one. The other problem is the open housing, so you don't want an environment with lots of chips, sawdust, and whatever else, unless you can cover it someway. Otherwise, you can use it just like any other induction motor. By the way, the bearings on that motor may be bronze or babbitt.

Check the motor shaft for burrs, you might need to carefully smooth them with a file.
Sometimes a press is required to push the shaft out of the bearing/endbell. You might be able to tap carefully on the shaft
with a block of wood while inserting pieces of cardboard or popsicle sticks in the gap to nudge the shaft out.
Be sure to mark the motor case and endbells so it goes back the same way

No burrs on the shaft. It looks as if it has never seen the light of day. There is a cast iron shaft cover..I may have been the first to remove it.

I could use some pointers - I'm trying to pull apart this old Delta induction motor just to clean it and check the bearings.
I managed to tap the rear bell housing and loosen it (some penetrant helped).
Now I have it loose, and can get a small screwdriver tip in there, but I'm not wanting to pry on it and risk damaging the housing.

The rear bell housing also has a shaft coming through it, so I assume there are bearings pressed on the shaft.

Any tips on pulling motor housings apart safely? I really don't want to hurt the motor. Other than some slightly noisy bearings, it seems to work fine.

-TomView attachment 431626View attachment 431625
Looks like there are brushes,can you remove them before you tap the housing apart,. ,mark the housing to the frame for reassembly.an the position of the brush holder in case it gets loose.
It should come apart with ease, wooden mallet or etc.I think the bearings stay with the shaft as the housing comes off etc .

Back