Old Hendey lathe

Rob G.

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My Dad has an old 14 x 6 Hendey lathe. I was wondering if someone could tell me were the serial number would be. I thought if I had that some one could tell me how old it is.

Nearly all lathes have the serial number on the flat of the ways on the operator side and far right or end of the bed length. Look down between the v and flat way, it will be stamped there. I have a 14X 108 that was made in 1941, they are tremendious lathes especially for threading, with the automatic compound withdrawal feature. Unfortunately the ways are not hardened and they do scratch easily.

Thanks Rick, but there was nothing on the flat of the ways.I think I've looked over every inch of this thing and found no numbers.the lighting were the lathe is isnt very good. I'm going over to my dads with some more lights and try again.

OK. I found the serial number its 19359. I'm hoping someone can give me some information about it,date of manufacture, can I get a manual for it,anything you can tell me . Thanks

Good luck Rob, you might try to google hendey and see what is out there, I talked to a very knowledgible and friendly man about 25 years ago in Arizona who supplied parts for hendey lathes and I think the name was AABLE tool and machine. I'm sure the man I talked with has now passed and I have not needed any parts for mine in the last 23 years. person informed me that my lathe was shipped on dec 4 1941 to the Hudson Motor Car Co and was redirected in route to Crane Naval Ammunition Depot after Pearl Harbor. One thing about a Hendey is the mass, don't know about yours but mine has a 5 HP 3 phase motor running 1200 RPM and two men cannot pick this 5HP motor up. Have fun with it, it is truely a work horse.

Good luck Rob, you might try to google hendey and see what is out there, I talked to a very knowledgible and friendly man about 25 years ago in Arizona who supplied parts for hendey lathes and I think the name was AABLE tool and machine. I'm sure the man I talked with has now passed and I have not needed any parts for mine in the last 23 years. person informed me that my lathe was shipped on dec 4 1941 to the Hudson Motor Car Co and was redirected in route to Crane Naval Ammunition Depot after Pearl Harbor. One thing about a Hendey is the mass, don't know about yours but mine has a 5 HP 3 phase motor running 1200 RPM and two men cannot pick this 5HP motor up. Have fun with it, it is truely a work horse.

If your talking about Hendeyman he is still around hangs out on PM in the antique section.

Paul

Back