Old lathes found at junk yard

and here's it's BIG brother
View attachment 386357View attachment 386358View attachment 386359
But this is a v-bed right? Did they come that size in round bed as well? How accurate is those round bed models and how do they wear? Does it have a tipe of slot at the bottom of the bed to keep everything on top of the bed? I could not propperly check it out when I was there,no time.

@Suzuki4evr
Hi Michael,

The lathes.co.uk page is here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/drummondroundbed/

and it states:
The heart of the lathe was the heavy, round, 3" diameter cast-iron bed, ground to within 1/1000" on an American Norton cylindrical grinder and formed with a bevelled slot along its underside to locate the tailstock and carriage. The leadscrew passed through the centre of the bed
and they have this picture:
1637759217703.png

-brino

how do you level that cross slide? You must need a super precision level do do it, but the bed has no ways.

Not a fan.

Huh! The bed is keyed! But, -why- would you want to adjust the carriage angle WRT the bed THAT far???

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Huh! The bed is keyed! But, -why- would you want to adjust the carriage angle WRT the bed THAT far???

For lathe use you wouldn't, but for boring/milling you might.....again from that same lathes.co.uk link:
With its top formed as a boring table, the "saddle" assembly could be partially rotated round the bed - which movement had the effect of altering the height of the table in relation to the spindle centre line. It was thus possible to make vertical adjustments when setting work on the boring table and make making minor changes to the setting of the height and angle of turning and milling cutters, etc. This versatility of movement had some interesting consequences, it even being possible to mount and rebore the (detachable) 4-cylinder block from an Austin 7

-brino

Back