Old logging truck with two engines

Dang, I have been by that place but never stopped. Just remember that it's on hyw 26 not hyw 6. Hyw 6 will take you to Idiotville. Yes. there really is such a place as Idiotville, Oregon. I don't believe that any one lives there, though.

Wow, what a Rube Goldberg. I imagine it was only used around a yard or something like that, they probably had a way to oil the mains by hand every once in a while. I still can't quite figure out why they did it, though, considering that back in those days flathead fords were a dime a dozen. Hard to believe it was a performance issue on a boom truck. My grandfather told me about a road trip they took and blew the flathead ford engine up. They coasted down the hill to a junkyard and pulled in and changed the motor out there (apparently in only a few hours) and were back on their way.

One benefit would be that it allowed the use of both transmissions... crank the caddy engine, put both transmissions in low gear, and it would crawl just about anywhere... not to mention the 'torque multiplication' effect of using both low gears...

The front engine is also a flathead, so it probably only produced around 100 HP... a 'double low gear' would have been helpful in a 100 HP logging truck.

Very interesting...

-Bear

I've seen this done, when parts are not available, here people usually use old mechanical diesels, no V8 here

I like the sculpted lines of the "hood" covering the old Caddy engine. Mike

One benefit would be that it allowed the use of both transmissions... crank the caddy engine, put both transmissions in low gear, and it would crawl just about anywhere... not to mention the 'torque multiplication' effect of using both low gears...

The front engine is also a flathead, so it probably only produced around 100 HP... a 'double low gear' would have been helpful in a 100 HP logging truck.

Very interesting...

-Bear

We had a forklift made out of a 1950s Chevrolet 2 ton truck. It had a 4 speed transmission and we added a three speed manual behind it. We didn't need it for power or torque, we needed the lower gear for control, the forklift was to sensitive and jerky with just the 4 speed. I expect that would have been helpful with a boom truck, too. We had an old Oliver tractor that we converted to use a as a crane, pretty much just like that truck, except the boom stuck out the front and the winch was mounted near the drawbar and run by the PTO. I expect the tractor would have been easier to use in that role, since the boom was out front and the tractor was low geared to begin with. We used them both for logging and around the house for lifting and moving. I put a 500 Cadillac engine in a 66 Chevy Impala by lifting the body off the frame with the forklift on one end and the boom tractor on the other so I could wheel the frame in front of the shop and do all the fabrication work on the motor and trans crossemember mounts. Made it much easier than trying to crawl around under that thing and the installation looked like it came out of the factory with that engine in it.

What's the chain drive sprocket on the Hydromatic output tailpiece for, a pull start?

Back