Old School

There is a difference between being old school and just old. My late Father in Law, for example. had a pencil sharpener hanging next to the rotary wall phone in the shop. With a shelf above it full of analog gauges and a Simpson 160 volt meter. That made him old. He could also make a reproduction Model A fender spare tire well from a scrap of metal, some hammers, tin snips, and a oxy-acet torch. That is old school.

I still remember watching my father patch a crack in a pickup fender with an old coat hanger and a Oxy-act torch. Seems he could weld and braze almost anything including alum irrigation pipes, I was never that good at it. Melting through, things yea I could do that.

I visited several job shops this week - all were exclusively CNC. I would say (sadly) that any machine with hand wheels is old school, in fact, an artifact of a bygone era.

Last edited:
I visited several job shops this week - all were exclusively CNC. I would say (sadly) that any machine with hand wheels is old school, in fact, an artifact of a bygone era.
Well, look at the bright side. It is only an artifact if it is no longer in use, making things for today. The same can be said for us...

I guess they cannot repair anything anymore. CNC is great for repetitive jobs, or even one off from a CAD drawing, but manual is the way to repair parts, or make new from the old.

Family had a crank phone- 24 ring 3...... The more I read about fine
machining in these fora the more I am convinced that , in the end,
good work is in the eyes, ears, and fingers (probably maligned crusty
old fart).......BLJHB.

I guess they cannot repair anything anymore. CNC is great for repetitive jobs, or even one off from a CAD drawing, but manual is the way to repair parts, or make new from the old.

Repairing things is so old school.... just order a new one off Aliexpress.

Old school means paying bills by walking in and paying cash and wanting a receipt, and Yes I do.

Ok , may be your old school if you and your buddies would stand along a stream and see who could pee the farthest and the longest. YUPP I usually won .
Ain't that a great accomplishment , now after the paralysis I'm lucky not get my shoes .

Back