[4]

Omniversal Mill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Hal H

Registered
Registered
Does anyone have a B&S OmniVersal Milling machine ?

Hal

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
I've been looking for one. They seem to be about as rare as Unicorns.

Hal H

Registered
Registered

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Talk about all the bells and whistles. I believe in UNICORNS, and yes, I want one. :grin: Mike

rivettlathe

Registered
I have an early model Omniversal, what would you like to know?

benmychree

John York
I have only ever seen one in person once, and that was likely 30 years ago; they are quite sweet! I do not know how much handier they might be than an ordinary universal such as the #2 B&S that I have, I guess that one thing would be that you could mill an angled spiral with a parallel end mill. A disadvantage would be the shorter table compared to a similar size plain or universal mill. I don't think I need one, but it sure would have bragging rights to own one.

NortonDommi

Registered
Santa for Christmas I'd like..........

Chipper5783

Active User
A well dressed Maho (or Deckel, or . . . any number of makers) has similar moves / features as the Omniversal. Yes, the set up time can be lengthy and requires attention to detail (like most machining tasks). One drawback of such machines (assuming you can track down the attachments) is that they are generally quite small, for the amount of metal and floor space they take up. It is fair to say that every mill is different and the Omniversal likely has some movements that are not available on others.

Sometimes the movements seem pretty academic. For example, the early Maho has the ability to roll the vertical head, in a smooth controlled manner, while milling. I have yet to conjure up why such a geometry would have merit - but many of these old machines had some pretty unique features.

[6]
[5] [7]