[Drill] On/off Switch Options For Delta Homecraft Drill Press

MBfrontier

Active User
Registered
I have just about completed the restoration of an old Delta Homecraft Drill Press except for the wiring. I have been looking for a solution for an on/off switch that will compliment the vintage of this machine such as a toggle on/off switch but haven't been able to find a box and switch that will compliment the vintage of this machine.

When I received this drill press it had a home electrical box bolted to the left side of the head casting with an on/off light switch to turn the motor on and off. I can re-use this solution but I'm looking for some suggestions on what others may have done. There are two threaded holes on the left side of the casting behind the name plate that the electrical box was bolted to that I can use for a box and switch. However, I'm open to any suggestions. Your input is appreciated.

Here's a picture of the left side of the drill press with the two threaded mounting holes circled:
Mounting%20Holes_zps3gq1h0pq.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good looking box. Add in a reproduction push button wall switch and that should like good.

The drill press looks great! Almost makes me want to clean mine up with paint

If you have a picture of the original box, you can have it 3d printed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the original switch looked like. I'll have to look into that. For now, I put the switch and box that was on it back together to get it running after I got a 4 step motor pulley.
IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

IMG_1178_zpsqayhdfdr.jpg

Looks good. Btw, does the belt run uncovered? That's kinda scary

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, the belt runs as you see it in the picture with just the front pulley cover.

The best I can tell, these drill presses were sold with or without a motor and it was up to the customer to decide what motor to use. After looking for as much information I could find on the internet, including pictures and literature, it seems the switch was either part of the power cord or a toggle switch attached to the motor.

I will keep the current switch as it is until I see something I think I will like better.

Back