One newbie's experience

Welcome aboard, Sir.

You will find that "setting up" the machines is a much more personal issue with you learning much about the machines as you struggle to make something useful.

I have had machines since child(teen)hood and long before messageboards or even knowledgable that someone did such work for a living. My background has always been electronics, but I realized early on that machining was a relative skill for that field. As the electronics drifted into the industrial area, so also did my interest in mechanical repair. You will find that making repairs and devising solutions to problems will be a form of satisfaction that cannot be acquired from a book. It is something that can only be done with your hands.

You will find that the learning operations go faster(?) when the automatic functions are not used. They really only matter when you need to make a second part identical to the first. Learn the manual moves necessary to accomplish what you want, then study on how to use the automatic part to make another. An example would be to make a replacement firing pin for a .22 rifle from a nail with nothing but a file and an electric drill chucked up in a vise. A goodly number of the goodies you listed are to speed things up and reduce the errors. The errors are what you learn the most from.

Back