Online Metals Flat Rate Shipping

ChazzC

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found in today's email:

20240415 Online Metals FR Shipping.png

They had a similar deal going last year (or maybe the year before?), but just on bar stock. No coupon code required, and no expiration date listed (but it can't last forever!).

Even at that price for shipping it’s still far less expensive around here to pick up most items at the steel yards. Often times they have drops at significantly lower prices than custom orders.

I'm surprised at how difficult it has been to find scraps and drops in the Houston area and end up ordering most of my stock. Any help on shipping is appreciated so I'll move Online up on my list of suppliers. For small sizes and short lengths I've been happy with the service and shipping from Hobby Metal Kits. https://hobbymetalkits.com/

I got the same email today.

Online Metals has these things called “Protoboxes”. I had no clue about them, but I called there one day a month or so ago asking if they ever had “drops” or “off cuts” that they sell. That’s when the guy on the phone mentioned the Protoboxes.
I bought a Protobox of 1018, 303 SS, brass & aluminum, when I got them, I thought they were great. A lot of variety in the material I received (round stock, bar stock, tubing, square stock, etc). I liked it because I’m kind of new to this machining world & I would have never ordered some of that stuff.
So next time I place an order from OM I will be shoving a Protobox or 2 into the order as well.

I got the same email today.

Online Metals has these things called “Protoboxes”. I had no clue about them, but I called there one day a month or so ago asking if they ever had “drops” or “off cuts” that they sell. That’s when the guy on the phone mentioned the Protoboxes.
I bought a Protobox of 1018, 303 SS, brass & aluminum, when I got them, I thought they were great. A lot of variety in the material I received (round stock, bar stock, tubing, square stock, etc). I liked it because I’m kind of new to this machining world & I would have never ordered some of that stuff.
So next time I place an order from OM I will be shoving a Protobox or 2 into the order as well.
I got a couple of ProtoBoxes years ago, and still have a lit of the contents (large diameter tubes and a 10” x 10” x 1-1/2” hunk of Plexiglas). They are a good start for a collection of stock, and with the shipping deal maybe I need to see what the current offerings are.

I wish speedy would do that. They are real expensive to ship to me, there prices are good, but shipping puts them out of bounds.
I buy a lot from StockCarSteel great price, and reasonable shipping.
Online is one of my sources, mcMaster, and Metal Supermarkets (but they are usually high), but only about an hour each way.
You always have to check prices around there's quite a difference in prices. Depending on who bought what at what price.
Shipping is only part of it. I'm a small consumer, so I buy what I need mostly... sometimes just for stock, but I have bought up stock. What I need is bigger chunks at a decent price.

Last edited:
Most of my stock comes from local used equipment dealers. When I need the certifications I go to either McMaster or Pal Steel in Palmyra Wi

Caterpillar's high strength bolts are strong (they claim stronger than Grade 8), ductile, and machine like leaded screw stock. I found this out when an engine rebuilder gave me a bunch of head bolts from a Cat 3406 engine. They cannot be reused in the engine, so to him they were scrap. I find that I can machine down one of these 3/4" diameter bolts faster than starting with a much smaller diameter piece of 1020.

The price is generally right, and there is usually a place working on Cat equipment nearby that has a can full of discarded bolts.

McMaster has just about any metal I’ve needed where I volunteer but they are expensive. When I saw how much they were going to spend on brass round stock one day I tol them about Speedy Metals. Even with shipping and as high as Speedy is, they were still 2/3 the price of McMaster. OTOH, McMaster usually delivers the next day. Since I’m volunteering and only go to the facility once a week I can wait but the paid employees need their materials promptly to keep the project going.

Back