Online Metals Flat Rate Shipping

I'm pretty sure that stuff is A36. The funny thing about A36 is, as a performance spec and not a composition spec, you can get a batch every now and then that does machine nicely. A36 can have anything in it in any proportion, as long as it meets the strength test requirements.
I feel an argument comming so please just explain your thoughts.

A36 is an ASTM designation, not a grade, this generally deals with the process used to produce the material as it does with the material itself. There are many grades of steel (formulations) which fall under each ASTM designation. A good example of this is ASTM A29 round bar which can be ASTM A29 Gr.1018 or ASTM A29 Gr.4140, its the chemical make up that controls the grade while the ASTM designation typically dictates the process by which the the steel is produced.

I feel an argument comming so please just explain your thoughts.

A36 is an ASTM designation, not a grade, this generally deals with the process used to produce the material as it does with the material itself. There are many grades of steel (formulations) which fall under each ASTM designation. A good example of this is ASTM A29 round bar which can be ASTM A29 Gr.1018 or ASTM A29 Gr.4140, its the chemical make up that controls the grade while the ASTM designation typically dictates the process by which the the steel is produced.

ASTM designations can mean a lot of things. A36, for example, designates its mechanical properties such as allowable stress and not its composition or forming method. The low allowable stress plus high ductility and elongation implies low carbon steel. Structural steel is usually A36, often but not necessarily 1010 mild steel, and may be cold-rolled or hot-rolled. Tensile yield strength is 36KSI, which is low for steel.

A29 applies to forming method, being hot-wrought, but applies to a range of alloys and properties otherwise.

Rick “the nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from” Denney

ASTM designations can mean a lot of things. A36, for example, designates its mechanical properties such as allowable stress and not its composition or forming method. The low allowable stress plus high ductility and elongation implies low carbon steel. Structural steel is usually A36, often but not necessarily 1010 mild steel, and may be cold-rolled or hot-rolled. Tensile yield strength is 36KSI, which is low for steel.

A29 applies to forming method, being hot-wrought, but applies to a range of alloys and properties otherwise.

Rick “the nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from” Denney
That was my point....

The following is copied from this site:

Designation​

Unlike most AISI grades such as 1018, 1141, or 4140, American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) A36 steel is not designated by chemical composition. Instead, A36 is designated by mechanical properties. This means that while most grades must have added alloys that fit between certain percentages, A36 must meet specific mechanical standards. For example, steel bars and plates must have a minimum yield strength of 36,000 pounds per square inch. While there are some chemical composition requirements that A36 steel must adhere to, the most important characteristic is the yield strength requirement.

Other Mechanical Properties​

A36 steel can have ultimate tensile strengths from 58,000 to 79,800 psi. The exact ultimate tensile strength is determined by a variety of factors such as chemical composition and forming method. A36 is relatively ductile and can elongate to around 20% of its original length when tensile testing. Its ductility and strength also give it excellent impact strength at room temperature.

Zoro offers 10 and 20 percent coupons regularly and ships free over $50. The list of materials is a pain in the backside to search but you can look through hundreds or thousands of types of raw stock to find something that is a good price and fit to your project.

It blows my mind when a ups or FedEx truck rolls up with one or two 6' long cardboard shipping tubes and I paid less than $100 for the whole order.

If you need 10 and 20 foot bars and a lot of them you need to go to a local supplier or have a major one deliver. If you need one or two bars for a job... Zoro frequently wins because spending the time and gas would cost more to try to go get it myself.

Would you guys in Oregon PM me with who you use locally? I don't care where in the state. Metal Supermarket is absurdly high for new stock and I rarely order enough to justify calling Ryerson.

Back