Opinions on a Van Norman #10 Universal Mill

Brad125

Registered
Registered
Hey fellas, I been looking for a milling machine and ran across this Van Norman #10 mill. Guy said it was rebuilt by an older gentleman he purchased it from. He bought it for his fabrication shop but never used it. Appears to be getting in decent shape, however I haven’t seen it in person yet. He says he has a pile of collets and some tooling for it. He wants 1000.00 for it. Any opinions as to the machine or price?

Attachments

• 5F2CF95B-144B-4BFD-999E-AD38221D24CB.jpeg
    5F2CF95B-144B-4BFD-999E-AD38221D24CB.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 201
  • B1CCA9E3-62DE-4419-A37C-CC2FBEE0C3DA.jpeg
    B1CCA9E3-62DE-4419-A37C-CC2FBEE0C3DA.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 244
I like it. If you can see yourself using it I’d say $1000 isn’t bad.

What spindle does it have and does it come with tooling?

john

I know absolutely nothing about Van Norman universal mills. Looks like everything is there but I can’t be sure. Hopefully he has an arbor for horizontal milling, I didn’t get a chance to ask him. He doesn’t even know it’s a Van Norman, he said he looked all over and can’t find a name or any identification on it. But I am 99% sure is a VN machine.

I like it. If you can see yourself using it I’d say $1000 isn’t bad.

What spindle does it have and does it come with tooling?

john
He just mentioned it he had a bunch of collets for it and some tooling. He didn’t say exactly what he meant by tooling. Spindle I believe is 5v. I can’t be sure though as I can’t find anything on this machine.

It’s kinda an odd duck so maybe it won’t get snatched up from under you. Collets are what you’ll need for any strange spindle bores so that’s a plus.

Seems like a good size for a home shop and Van Norman made high class stuff.

If I had the money and the space I’d be loading it tomorrow.

John

I already have a bunch of R8 tooling I acquired from my other mill, don’t have that mill anymore. So proprietary tooling will suck if it’s not R8 spindle.

I already have a bunch of R8 tooling I acquired from my other mill, don’t have that mill anymore. So proprietary tooling will suck if it’s not R8 spindle.
It’s not likely to be R8 but I wouldn’t let that hold you back, if the machine has collets with it you’ll be fine.

I’d love to find something like that, Bridgeport clones are easy to find but universal machines seem to be much more rare.

John

It’s not likely to be R8 but I wouldn’t let that hold you back, if the machine has collets with it you’ll be fine.

I’d love to find something like that, Bridgeport clones are easy to find but universal machines seem to be much more rare.

John
Yea now at 1500lbs I wonder if I can get it thru my basement door. He said it was 500lbs lol I think he was alittle off

Last edited:
Back