Opinions on jaw types for scroll chucks: split jaw/reversible or two pair?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Several manufacturers offer 6", 3 jaw scroll chucks with screwed together split jaws with reversible tops.
One or two offer two sets of jaws which is what I'm used to seeing. to

Which jaw types are better - the two sets or the split jaw setup?

:tiphat:Nelson

__._,_.___

I had a 5" Cushman on my SB 10K, but i didn't have the outside jaws. So I bought one of those reversible 5" jobbies from CDCO, or Shars, or somebody. After I added the backplate, the thing weighed close to 50 pounds, and stuck out a good 4 inches. It just looked ungainly. So I bought another used 5" with both sets of jaws. I was going to sell my original one, and the new one. I set up the newly-bought one with the outside jaws, and then said, the heck with it, I'll keep them both. It's faster to swap the chucks, than the jaws.

And the monster is gone.

I'll go 110% for the two piece jaws. With solid jaws you can't use soft jaws. Wouldn't have one in the shop, unless it was on a tiny lathe where nobody made a two piece jaw style chuck, like a watch or clock lathe. Likely to use collets or special fixtures then anyway.

I agree with Tony. I have a 6" with split jaws on my Crafteman 12" 101.07403 lathe and wouldn't be without it. Plus the extra weight seemed to add some tork to the lathe. And soft jaws are a plus. thay caan be made in the shop.

Back