Opinions wanted on a BusyBee tools Mill

great white

Active User
Registered
I'm considering spending some money (that I kinda don't really have) on a mill.

I'm budget limited and about the only place I can get a "hobbiest" style mill is a place called Busy Bee Tools (Canadian). The other option is King tools, but their prices are virtually the same for the same (with different paint) mill.

I don't do any of this for money, it's just personal stuff. The mill I'm looking at is a benchtop model, but a bit larger than what you may consider a "mini mill". Of course, like all these smaller units, it's a rebranded import from overseas. Good thing is Busy Bee is a major chain here, so parts and service is fairly easily sourced (if needed). 3 year warranty is also a nice feature.

The mill in question is a Craftex R8 CX600:

CX600__62722.1599653036.jpg

Specifications:

Motor: 3/4-HP, 110-V, Single Phase
Drilling Capacity: 1”
End Mill Capacity: 5/8”
Face Mill Capacity: 2-1/2”
Spindle Taper: R8
Spindle Stroke: 2”
Head Tilt: + - 90-degree (45-deg to right and 45-deg to left)
Number of Spindle Speeds: Variable
Range of Spindle Speeds: 50 – 2250 RPM
Working Surface of Table: 20” x 7”
Table Longitudinal Travel: 11”
Table Cross Travel: 7”
Table Vertical Travel: 15”
Number of T-Slots: 3
T-Slot Size: 10mm
Overall Dimensions: 27” x 29” x 34”
Net Weight (approx): 113 Kg
Shipping Weight (approx): 135 Kg
Warranty: 3-Years

I uploaded the pdf manual on this post if you'd like to look it over a bit.

I'd chuck in an R8 ER32 collect chuck so I can use the tooling I already have for my lathe MT3 ER32 collet chuck.

Total price with tax would be $2850 Cdn dollars and a 1.5 hour drive to pick it up, unless I wanted to pay another 300 bucks to have it delivered.

It's a little bigger than I need, but if my Atlas TH2 has taught me anything, it's that you'll be wanting to do bigger work sooner than you think.

I guess I'm really looking at if the machine is decent, or if anyone owns one, the problems or limitations you have come across.

The price I'm pretty much stuck with and that's with it "on sale".

Other machines from other stores is not an option here, so please don't suggest them. This is not really an area with industry and/or manufacturing, so you don't find used machines very often or have places that sell machinery locally. Most shops end up having "the good stuff" shipped in for use for commercial work. .

So, any input on this BB benchtop mill is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CX600.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I take it you have space restrictions ?

I take it you have space restrictions ?
Yes, somewhat. Anything bigger isn't going to really fit in the space I have. I could go smaller (and less expensive) but it means stepping down to something about half the table size/travel and lighter construction.

Go for it, CX series have been around for a few years, I have the basic model(CX612) for the the past 5 years, of course I wish I had a more ridgid, and a heavier mill but if you work within it's limit, you'll be fine.

Go for it, CX series have been around for a few years, I have the basic model(CX612) for the the past 5 years, of course I wish I had a more ridgid, and a heavier mill but if you work within it's limit, you'll be fine.
I looked at that one as well. But for the price difference (roughly 600) it seemed to make more sense to me to get the larger capacity CX600.

I looked at that one as well. But for the price difference (roughly 600) it seemed to make more sense to me to get the larger capacity CX600.
It seems you are well planted on the slippery slope already, LOL.
But your logic is sound, you'll not regret having the larger capacity.

It seems you are well planted on the slippery slope already, LOL.
But your logic is sound, you'll not regret having the larger capacity.
Oh, I went and bought it (online) a few minutes ago. The slope is not slippery, it's totally flat after hitting my bank account for 3450. I bought the stand/cabinet that goes with it and paid for home delivery, which kicked it up to 3450 from 3 G..

Last edited:
Think you’ll be happy with this mill and probably won’t look back.

John

Congratulations on your brand spanking new milling machine.
What kind of collets do you have?

Back