Opionions? Baileigh Pivot Miter BS-250M and similar

coolidge

Active User
Registered
Shopped band saws for many hours over the past few days. The one that most intrigues me at the moment is this pivot miter band saw by Baileigh BS-250M for $3,350. There are several similar models by Jet, Drake, and others. I like that this Baileigh uses a DC inverter motor, so variable speed but single phase. Most of the others are 3 phase. I found a video of a shop that really liked theirs. 495 lbs. Opinions?

bs250m.jpg

Sorry Ellis fans, I looked them over but they are dry saws only, coolant voids their warranty. As for used forget about it, nothing but junk in my area.

Also rans include these three...

1. Jet 8x13 model J-7015, 1 inch blade, similar to the fake Clausing/Kalamazoo which is just rebranded. At $3,500 its the most expensive on my list. I like that the controls and even hydraulic feed are on a control box at the top. People who have used this saw say its pretty decent. 550 lbs

jet1.jpg

2. Mid priced saw is this gear drive 8x14 model HBS-814GH at $2,400 free shipping, free residential lift gate service. 3/4 inch blade. A step up from my old TurnPro in some areas like the gear drive, but a step down in other areas like the blade guides.

jet2.jpg

3. Or keep it simple and cheap with this Jet 7x12 for $1,279 with free shipping. This is similar to my old TurnPro. I could dump this saw on craigslist one day IF I decided to upgrade to something much bigger like the above.

jet3.jpg

There is an older posting by Zmotorsports on the BS-210M that was very positive, I think Baileigh sells a hodgepodge of machine, some good and some are junk. Then there is the support issue if you have any problems. I have looked at some of their machines in the past, was not overly impressed. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/baileigh-bs-210m-horizontal-bandsaw-from-qmt.41266/

On a mitering swivel head bandsaw I would be more inclined to go with the Jet J-9225 or something like that. I reel do not see the need for variable speed in this application, I generally use two speed on my gearhead and probably could get by with one.

If I had the space, I would go with the Ellis, I have used Firestopper's Ellis and nothing stands in it's way with a good blade. He uses one speed for everything, the blade last a long time. The coolant is a mixed blessing, it is messy and hard to keep from going bad. I use it on my horizontal Turn-Pro bandsaw, but now use a high end coolant that seems to last longer and not rust everything. If I could have spent a little more I would have gone with a Jet, in the mid price range (2-3+K) they are better made and have been around for awhile.

Swivel head, you probably can get in closer to the piece of work and hold it securely. The non-swivel head (which is what I have), it is a PTA to do angles and set up everything, also from a work holding perspective the clamping surfaces are further away. I built sliding clamping surfaces that can be adjusted to get closer to the blade, even with that doing something like a 45 degree cut on smaller materials is pretty poor. On the Ellis you can easily shave of very thin section on a cut, couldn't do that with my 7x12 gearhead.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/ellis-1600-bandsaw-arrives.57100/

mksj fantastic post. On close inspection of photos the Baileigh and Jet are clearly made in different factories with the Baileigh looking like a cheaper unit even though its more expensive. The Jet and Dake are nearly identical with the Dake being a lot more expensive, but they look like they are made in the same factory. My hang up with the Jet is its 3ph. Agree on the variable speed, unless its squealing like a stuck pig probably not much use for that. I never changed the speed on my Turnpro. Agree on flood coolant, I remember foul gone bad coolant all too well. And there are sprays or MQL alternatives when needed. Dry chips WAY easier to clean up.

Update: I have decided to go cheap, this is a hobby I'll let the hobby force me to buy a higher end saw one day, for now I'm going with the new Jet HVBS-712D for $1,379 pictures above. Love the new Jet grey/black color scheme. Similar to my Turnpro but higher off the ground, better wheels.

Well crap the cheap saw is out of stock...wait for it...MELT DOWN MODE...hello, Southern Tools, yeah ship me a Jet J-9225...INBOUND!! No tax, free shipping, free lift gate, free residential delivery :D

saw1.jpg

...Baileigh and Jet are clearly made in different factories with the Baileigh looking like a cheaper unit even though its more expensive...

Actually Jet is inferior to Baileigh, but is probably good enough. Jet and Powermatic are imported by the same company, though Powermatic is superior and roughly equal to Bailiegh.

I have the Vectrax 7" x 12" mitering bandsaw, which is identical to Bailiegh, and from the same factory. Mine has the gear-head motor, which is all you need and very convenient compared to a belt drive. One of the blade guides was poorly manufactured--pretty easy fix. And there is a tendency for the whole machine to want to topple over, when cutting miters, if you don't install outriggers. Also, at large miter angles, the workpiece is cantilevered out a great distance. For this reason I kinda wished I had just gone with the Ellis. And I do all my cutting without the coolant, just some stick lube.

Hbandsaw-1_zpsgez8tf69.jpg

That Vectrax was the first saw I considered, had one in my cart with at 25% off code, went back to MSC the following morning to order and cart gone, code invalid. :mad: Worked out for the best, I'm happy with this Jet.

Actually Jet is inferior to Baileigh, but is probably good enough.

I think there is a wide range of machinery and pricing, on some of the lower end this may be true, but I have looked at a lot of comparable products and I would consider the J-9225 to be much better made than the comparable Baileigh. The BS-250M has a few more bells and whistles, but looks like at the expense of other parts. I was recently shopping for a combination 12" disc sander with a 6x48 belt and looked at a number of different different vendors including Baileigh, Powermatic, and a few other brands in this configuration. Hands down the Jet 4200A was way better built, and that is what I ended up buying. I was not disappointed when it arrived, very similar to the old Delta models, all heavy castings and no plastic or pressed steel anywhere. I think one needs to look at the specific machines and price range, at least from what one can observe, the higher end jet gear is still very well made but pricey. Both Coolidge and I have the Turn-Pro 7x12 and mine looks to be an exact copy of the Vertax gear head version other than a different paint scheme, as I mentioned previously it is OK and works but still rather crude. I would have gone with a higher priced Jet miter if the funding was there.

MSC is always playing games with pricing coupons and the day of the week. Zoro also carries Jet machinery, and I often get a 20-25% off coupon good for everything and no shipping or tax, the latter makes buying anything from MSC a deal breaker. Purchased my Jet J4200A from Zoro at significant savings, couldn't be happier.

Look forward to seeing Coolidge's review when it shows up, if I ever get a larger shop the J-9225 or Ellis will be on the short list.

I've had a 7 X 12 JET bandsaw for almost 20 years, it's been a very reliable machine. I've replaced the guide bearings once (10 @ $8.60 each ouch) and the idler wheel bearings once, other than that , no problems, it's done everything I've asked of it and we use the vertical bandsaw feature frequently.

Back