Optical flat repair

Brento

Registered
Registered
I have a Van Keurnen Optical flat that i never realized was actually an optical flat. Now it looks pretty dirty and im wonder what can i do to clean it and is there anything i should do to store it. I see the outside is a little gouged looking unless it is just mung from being dirty?

C1FB5F1E-B637-4CC2-B2F3-E6EC97D3FB56.jpeg

Is it etched or in need of a good cleaning of the surfaces?

I honestly don’t know bc i don’t know much about them to tell what you even mean.

To clean optical glass.
Get some supplies
cotton balls
distilled water
Dawn Regular dish soap
a bowl

Make up a mix of Dawn and distilled water. Place flat on CLEAN pad (paper towel) don’t worry about lint at this time. Soak the glass for 5-10 minutes. Swish the glass around a bit to hopefully cause some or all the dust etc lift off. Do not rub anything!
Rinse the flat with some of the water.
Still dirty?
Refill the bowl. Now use as many cotton balls as required and in one straight pass without rubbing swipe across and roll the balls at the same time so any debris is picked up but not allowed the touch the glass again.
Rinse with the water and leave the glass standing up to let the water run off.
Hopefully a lot cleaner!

if the glass is etched by chemical, you can only clean and use as is.

Store is a felt lined case, same as the ones we purchased. Microfiber cloth to wipe any dust off before using it on just as clean part.
Pierre

Don’t see why not. Crown Royal Bag would be a good touch as well!

Your best bet is to store it on its side so that the two precision surfaces don't have to touch anything at all.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner a cycle through it with just distilled water could help remove a lot of the grunge without harming the surfaces.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I unfortunately do not have a ultrasonic cleaner so by hand i will be doing. What kind of light do you need to use for these?

To use an optical flat, you use a monochromatic light source. The common one to use is a sodium emitter, but they are pricey.

- I plan to use a diode green laser with a 2 level filter an diffuser.

[edit] You have to use caution using a laser emitter, all the caveats, and warnings.

Back