Optimum tooling size for a 9X20??

Rbeckett

Gold
Rest In Peace
What size tooling are most folks using the majority of in their 9X machines.. I have 1/4, 8MM, 5/16,and 3/8ths bits and holders available and quite a bit of indexable small tooling from my 7X10. If I can continue to use the smaller tool holders in the larger lathe it will save me a good chunk of change in retooling costs for the 9X. I think I even have a couple of 1/2 tools too. I realize that the smaller bits may be flimsier and subject to more chatter, but is there any reason not to use it. I have a QCTP on both machines so I can easily adjust the tool height to get it perfectly centered. Any caveats or reasons I cant use what I already have while I am building up my larger tooling selection? And what size would you consider to be max for most projects and materials. Thanks in advance!!!

Bob

Use 3/8 on my 9x20. Smaller sizes are okay too.

Have 2, 4 way toolposts, and wedge from LMS.

Did use piston type, but gave that holder to some pals. Was not for me.

Have used brazed carbide 3/8, and carbide inserts, and HSS 3/8, prefer HSS.

Charl

I use 1/2 and 5/8 with an occasional 3/8. I have an AXA OCTP.

"Billy G"

hi bob
congrats on getting your lathe home
I use mostly 1/2" on my 9x20. I purchased a set of cheap carbide insert tools on ebag
steve

This doesn't really answer your question but, I want to add that having multiple size insert holders is a slight curse in some ways... I happen to have an AXA setup mostly with 3/8" tooling and a BXA with 1/2" tooling. Even though I keep the holders separate, I'm always reaching for the wrong ones. Also, keeping track of all the insert sizes gets old, fast. I guess the versatility is nice but I'm thinking of going with all BXA and 1/2" and put the AXA stuff aside and only use it when the situation really calls for it.

Ray

This time I respectfully disagree Ray. The AXA holder is for a 9-12 inch lathe. The BXA holder is for a 10 to 13 inch lathe The BXA is over the limits for a 9X20. The CXA holder is for a 13-15 inch lathe.

"Billy G"

Oh hey Bill... I guess I didn't state things clearly.... I was telling Bob that for my lathe, I'll stick to a BXA.... Likewise, he should stick to just one size (presumably AXA) for his lathe. Having and maintaining both is a pain. In his case, he could go with 0XA or AXA and and think AXA is the right one -but I wasnt sure until you and others said AXA.

Ray

This time I respectfully disagree Ray. The AXA holder is for a 9-12 inch lathe. The BXA holder is for a 10 to 13 inch lathe The BXA is over the limits for a 9X20. The CXA holder is for a 13-15 inch lathe.

"Billy G"

I find the very small hss blanks good for getting into tight spots, i use them for boreing small holes a lot.

Stuart

I use 1/4, 3/8, 5/16, and 1/2 tooling on my lathe (previously 9x20, now a 10"), all in AXA holders.

Back