Order of operation for shaft repair.

In this forum, just ask and you will get an answer. Thanks all.

I so want to make a joke here but no.....I must restrain those double D temptations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one else asked, so I will. Are you welding up the stripped shaft?

Yes, I turned down the stripped threads, mig welded the shaft and turned down the shaft to the outer diameter. I have not had time to attempt the threads yet, need to get a bit more shop time. I'm still deciding on single point thread or to use a die. I could use the SPT practice but I would also take a chance of messing up the shaft and needing to start over. My lathe has a screw on chuck so threading in reverse (Joe Pie method) I have not tried yet either.

Single point on welded material might be interesting. My limited experience has taught me that cutting and drilling welds can be a challenge. I’m sure it’s done all the time though. You gonna use a carbide insert?
Just trying to learn.

Yes, I turned down the stripped threads, mig welded the shaft and turned down the shaft to the outer diameter. I have not had time to attempt the threads yet, need to get a bit more shop time. I'm still deciding on single point thread or to use a die. I could use the SPT practice but I would also take a chance of messing up the shaft and needing to start over. My lathe has a screw on chuck so threading in reverse (Joe Pie method) I have not tried yet either.

I asked the question specifically because of the potential problems associated with machining an unknown material after it has been welded. The shaft may have been made of a medium carbon steel (i.e. 1045) producing very hard welds. I would recommend annealing the welds with a torch, then turn to size and single point the threads. Trying to use a die may destroy the die.

Your point is well taken and since my noob lack of experience has ruined a fair number of end mills (cheap ones luckily) already, I did at least give it the file test. Before welding the shaft cut very easily with a file. After welding, I started turning the weld area using a cheap carbide insert then switched to hss because of the interrupted cut nature of my weld. It seemed to cut ok with hss but I will do as you suggest and anneal that area prior to threading. Good learning point. Thank you.

I can hear the giggling already, but a shaft with 2 flats is actually called a "double d" shaft

I never heard of " double d " before , had to google it . Came up with this …………………...

;)

hey john bought a place in rosemount by elementary school been busy moving

Back