Ordered 1127 Vf Lb

Well I hope you have better luck than we did when we bought our 1127. We waited over a year before finally asking for a credit back because they could not get them in stock. Hopefully it is better now.

Jay
Matt said he had two ( I think he said two) in stock when I ordered.

Lately I have been very interested in the idea of having a collet chuck on my 1127 as well. I am leaning towards a back-plate mounted type chuck rather than having an adapter and long tube closer. I would imagine that the adapter style "may" be inherently more accurate simply due to there being a direct fit on the MT5 taper, but I doubt it would ever be an issue with an back-plate mounted chuck instead.

Do not know what type of mount is on the 1127, but you are probably limited on 5C chucks. Lathemaster does make a plain back 5C tru-setting type that might be adaptable to this machine. I have the D1-4 type mount of this chuck, it is decent quality without going to a Bison. Another consideration is an ER-40 collet block system and chuck it up into your 4J. The ER blocks will pass stock through them, as opposed to standard ER chucks. I use the 5C for most everything under 1", but you need a a full set of 65+ collets if you want to cover the full clamping range, and this can get pricey. A collet closure system might be more accurate from an angular pull point of view, but the 5C collets TIR specs as a whole are worse than ER collets. Probably chasing your tail as to which system gives the least TIR, the Grizzly P4026001 collet adapter is hit or miss on its accuracy. The collet closure described above may be the least expensive, and looks like it would work well if you used this system a lot, providing your collet adapter is running true.
5C Collet racks and some discussion: http://www.lathemaster.com/lathemaster 5c collet chuck.htm

Last edited:
Lately I have been very interested in the idea of having a collet chuck on my 1127 as well. I am leaning towards a back-plate mounted type chuck rather than having an adapter and long tube closer. I would imagine that the adapter style "may" be inherently more accurate simply due to there being a direct fit on the MT5 taper, but I doubt it would ever be an issue with an back-plate mounted chuck instead.

The only issue with the 1127 with regards to chucks is the non-standard spindle nose. PM sells a 5C chuck for this lathe but stock has been hit and miss in the past. It may be better now. I have not heard what the typical run-out is for there chucks. I would consider getting a decent quality plain base 5C chuck and a blank back plate to fit yourself for the most accuracy.

I will also add that the spindle taper on our 1127 was not ground parallel with the spindle axis. At first we thought it was the Grizzly P4026001 collet adapter. A test bar confirmed the spindle taper was at fault. The 5C adapeter we have is within 0.0005".

Back