Ordering a 6-jaw Chinese Chuck-

Thanks Mike for fullfilling my curiosity! Ah, so is that how another Mike owns a wonderful Samchully chuck? You are the only person I have ever heard of owning one. I drooled over them for a whille.

Yeah, I had too many chucks for just one lathe. After I bought the PB 6 jaw, I figured I needed to get rid of at least one of them. I wanted it to go to someone who could use and appreciate a really good chuck so I sold it to Aukai for what I paid for it. That chuck was only lightly used to hold something in the 1" OD range; it was silky smooth in that area. The outer parts of the chuck weren't even broken in yet so the jaws were tight. It was a very nice, very high-end chuck that went to a really good guy who just happens to be making a back plate for it right now!

I got my 6 jaw fro this seller. I got a D1-4 back plate for it and dialed mine in using the back plate. I have been please with it. It also has reversible jaws.

I got my 6 jaw fro this seller. I got a D1-4 back plate for it and dialed mine in using the back plate. I have been please with it. It also has reversible jaws.
Yup, me too, but I got the 6". I'm very satisfied with my Sanou. That is the only company offering affordable L00 backplates that I could find. I now have bought 2 from them.

Me three. The 6.3" 6-jaw I use on my rotab is from them so I purchased mine without a backplate. That seller is CME Tools. Mine is not a Sanou, says CMEC on mine. I have purchased a few things from them through ebay & direct from their website. Sometimes it's cheaper to go through ebay, sometimes cheaper on their website (total with shipping).

I hope I can get my backing plate to be good enough for the quality of the chuck it will be mounted to. A tall order indeed. And Messy....

If you guys want to see a nice chuck, have a look at this one, a Kitagawa 3 jaw, 7.5" plain back chuck. There are several chuck makers who make high end chucks that go on high end lathes. Samchully and Kitagawa are two of them and they make some of the finest chucks in the world, although most of them are powered chucks for CNC lathes. They do make chucks that are reachable for mortals and this is one of them. I'm guessing it saw little or at least reasonable use judging by the pics.

RandC tends to price high but does take offers. I would guess this chuck would go for maybe $400-425, and it would be worth it. I would make sure the jaws are reversible, which they should be, but this is a really nice chuck in nice condition. If I didn't already own more chucks than any decent human should own, I would buy this thing.

Newbie question here: Say you have a 6 jaw chuck and your having problems holding a piece that would have worked better in a 3 jaw , you have a 3 jaw but the thought of swapping heavy chucks around for one job , could you run the 6 jaw with 3 jaws removed ? (Take out every other jaw )

Newbie question here: Say you have a 6 jaw chuck and your having problems holding a piece that would have worked better in a 3 jaw , you have a 3 jaw but the thought of swapping heavy chucks around for one job , could you run the 6 jaw with 3 jaws removed ? (Take out every other jaw )

Yes you could. I personally never needed to. Well I have on my old lathe but it was so I could have more room to measure the thickness of the part while machining without having to remove the part from the chuck. My chucks aren't heavy so I would just swap them but mainly cause I wouldn't want an open slot where chips could easily get into.

However I do this for the chuck for my RT sometimes (again for clearance). Except that I just remove the top jaw instead of removing the master jaw (quicker).

20180913_230243.jpg

Didn't think about some having jaws that unbolt ! Didn't want to hijack the thread but my wife's uncle who's retired asked if I wanted a 6 jaw chuck a week ago for $200 , no back-plate , he didn't remember what brand but said " it's a good one " he did work in a tool and die shop , waiting for him to get back to me with the brand . On the fence if I should buy it .

For the outside jaws, worst case I can Grind the current jaws into softjaw bases and just use bolt on reversible soft jaws.

@Alcap unless it is chinesium or a 3" chuck, $200 is worth it. If it was big enough for my lathe, i would take it sight unseen :)

Back