Organized some tooling

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Tired of looking in drawers, boxes and shelves to find tools, I made a swinging board behind the mill that won't be in the way to put endmills, twist drills, reamers and key cutters. As I'm typing this, I think I will add a block for most often used taps.

DSCF4601.JPG

DSCF4606.JPG

Also made a new larger box for a mismatched set of adjustable reamers.

DSCF4603.JPG

Now I need to label the edge of holders with sizes.

Thanks for looking
Aaron

Excellent!

If you can't find a tool when you need it then you might as well not have it!

I had thought about hinged vertical panels like these for small stuff. Similar to what Radio-Shack used to have for small components. A series of hinged panels with stuff hung on both sides. I wondered how the storage density would compare to drawers and shelves.

What I really like about this is that you can see and therefore easily find anything.

Thanks for posting.

-brino

If you can't find a tool when you need it then you might as well not have it!
:grin: You may put me in this category brino . :rolleyes: I would need an awful lot of wood to accomplish this project .

How many panels do you have?
Did you coat the wood with anything so that the acids in it do not cause rust on the tooling?

:grin: You may put me in this category brino . :rolleyes: I would need an awful lot of wood to accomplish this project .

Notice I didn't say "When you have several of a tool and still can't find any of them...."
You are in a whole new category! :)
-brino

I had thought about hinged vertical panels like these for small stuff. Similar to what Radio-Shack used to have for small components. A series of hinged panels with stuff hung on both sides. I wondered how the storage density would compare to drawers and shelves.

@AGCB97 - I definitely like your idea of a adding a hinged panel by the mill!

@brino - I've done something similar in both my previous and current shops. Hinged panels definitely save on (precious!) wall space.
kHPIM2832.jpgkkHPIM2834.jpgkHPIM2836.jpgkHPIM2835.jpg

Last edited:
I made a block for my taps with the corresponding drill beside each one.
Also have a block for my most used end mills, parallels, hex keys and collets right next to the mill

These are excellent, thank you all for posting pictures of what you have done. I am just starting a big organization project and I’m thinking something like this will be good. Appreciate the inspiration.

Back