Organizing Some Things

dlane

Active User
Registered
image.jpeg i like the 6 gal milk crates for storage but when they are stacked it's a pain to get to the bottom one so I made this. They slide out like drawers , 6 high , the heavier crates go in the bottom ,still needs paint

Last edited:
Great idea.......very useful and easy build!
Thanks for posting.
-brino

Thanks for the comments, if I did it again I would of welded vertically on the angle iron to the uprights
I forgot that welding across tubing tries to bow it. I got it pretty straight with the cross braces on the back . Think I'll put some hoops on the side for longer stock to stand up in .Here is a pic of the assembly being made they were clamped back to back.
I suppose 4 gal crates would work , 6 gal is more better but getting hard to find

image.jpeg
This shop is running out of space , this should help .

You got me thinking. Over my working life, I accumulated a number of small Allen Wrenches. My (small) shop has three or four 'work stations", Lathe, Mill, Bench, etc. I've routinely had a number of Allen Wrenches at each of the stations, scattered around, hidden under stuff. Yesterday, having seen your milk crate organization, I decided it was time to organize my Allen wrenches. I made six blocks of wood with varying sizes of holes for the eight smallest (up to 3/16) sizes, filled them with the appropriate wrenches and scattered them about the shop. Hopefully I can replace each wrench as I use it in future, negating the need to wander around the shop looking for one that will fit that set screw, or whatever.

Allen wrench rack 1.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration.

Very nice Tom and that will help to keep them there, when you see an empty hole you know to go look for it. I have two sets of bondahas ( or whatever there called) ball allens in sae they live in there plastic holder , when one is missing "all work stopes " until it finds its way home again. I've had those sets 15+ years although some of the balls are now missing .:eek 2:. I hate spending a half hour looking for somthing that would of taken 3 nminutes to do. I have to pretty much cover everything up due to dust
And that makes things harder to find, I have to try and Remember where everything's home is in 4 Kennedy and one craftsman roll a round boxes , memory isn't what it once was . Anyhow I'm glad my thread inspired you, shop space is getting tight here and that rack should help things find a home.
I really have to quit looking at Craig's list tools.:frown:

nice work and a great idea Derrick!
the six gallon totes are nearly indestructible, we use them regularly at the shop.
i have a couple at the house for scrap metal storage and spare motors, i may have to steal your idea!

Back