OT- MIT engineers create an energy-storing supercapacitor from ancient materials

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Made of cement, carbon black, and water, the device could provide cheap and scalable energy storage for renewable energy sources.

That's truly a fantastic breakthrough! Great news for the future of solar power for houses.
Here's a related article:

Interesting. I wonder if by "cement" they mean concrete? Maybe they have not gotten to that stage, adding the aggregate.

I can see it now. "Hon could you discharge the foundation? I need to pull the lawn chairs out of the crawlspace." Or, maybe the foundation will need to be electrically insulated so it doesn't discharge into the ground.

My prediction is, "Nope. Not gonna work."
The problem is that the carbon black, like L-Ion, will expand as it's charged. Not by much, but a measurable amount. Concrete doesn't like to be expanded from the inside, especially when it has a house sitting on it.

Could potentially make lightning strikes even more interesting if your entire foundation is conductive. :grin:

I wonder if by "cement" they mean concrete? Maybe they have not gotten to that stage, adding the aggregate.
It looks like the author starts saying "concrete" instead of "cement" towards the end of the article. It's a common mixup (NPI) for many people.

The supercapacitor may work but the author must be an English major. His description of a capacitor is wrong. A capacitor consists of two conductive surfaces separated by a thin insulating barrier.

When voltage is applied to the conductors, an electric field is created and a charge develops across the barrier. The charge remains even after the applied voltage is removed. The capacitance is proportional to the surface area but inversely proportional to the separation between the two conductors. While a large surface area is required, it is the thickness of the dielectric layer separating the two conductors that makes it a supercapacitor.

Back