Ot: Mower Pto Probblems

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All,
I have a Cub Cadet RZT that is having Power Take Off problems. I just noticed this morning that the mower blades won't shut off regardless of the PTO switch position?. The mower will not start with the PTO switch on. But when I start the engine the blades turn at full speed regardless of switch position. Is this a normal failure? It seems like it would fail safe (blades off). Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks
Randy

Is it an electric switch to a magnetic clutch? Or a lever that slides a gear on a shaft? Or a lever controlling belt tension?

First decide if the control has lost contact with the clutch (or sliding gear) or if the clutch has failed.

EDIT:

I googled your model ZTR and found an electric PTO clutch.

First determine if 12VDC is being switched on and off to the clutch. If yes, the clutch is seized and will have to be disassembled, attempted to be fixed and then replaced by a new one.

If 12VDC is on at all times, chase the wiring and fix the fault.

Last edited:
On further research, the bearing in the clutch failed. I can't believe they didn't use a sealed bearing. Now the problem is removing that bearing. It sure wasn't designed to be removed 8^(
Has anyone successfully remover one? They want $16o - $360 for a new PTO

Randy

Arbor press, hammer & drifts and pieces of pipe to drive the old bearings out. Start shopping for the new odd-sized bearings...

Then buy a new clutch.

Thanks for the replies. I had to make a tool to remove the bearing, but I got it out, New bearing cost me @$9.00. It is running like new.

Back