OT: Warm floors

rabler

Addlepated tinkerer
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My solution to swarf getting in the home carpet is to get rid of the carpet. But on days like today, 12 degrees F outside, it is a bit chilly. We keep the house heated only to the mid 50's. Recently remodeled the bathroom, put in a tile floor and new tile shower. Sounds truly decadent, but getting older, some luxuries are worthwhile. Under the ceramic tile we put in the electric tile heater. Delightful on a day like today. Major points with the wife.

Did the same a few years ago. Well worth the extra cost I think. In our house, the master bedroom/bath is on the far end of a rambler and the coolest part of the house.

Did the same a few years ago. Well worth the extra cost I think. In our house, the master bedroom/bath is on the far end of a rambler and the coolest part of the house.
Same thing, master suite is at the far end from the central furnace. We put a ductless heat pump in the master too.

Is that a typo? Brrrrr, I'm chilled just thinking about that temperature: you are a better man than I.
No typo. We're outside, or in the shop so much of the day it doesn't make sense to warm up the house. We use the ductless heat pump to keep the master bedroom at 62, which is as low as the Panasonic units go, but the bedroom is a bit warmer.

We ran the heat under the shower too :)

I used to own an old farmhouse with little in the way of insulation. We heated with LP at the time and it was expensive even at 1970's prices. At the time we worked away from home and would be gone for 10 - 12 hours each weekday. While we were gone, I set the thermostat at 45º and set it to come up to 65º a half an hour before our expected return time. At night, I set the temperature to 55º and set it to warm up a half an hour before we got up.

Over that winter, I graphed run times for the "on" and "setback" time and calculated the ratio, including the first warmup period in the "setback " group. When I compared the results, I concluded that I had save more than 50% on heating costs doing this.

I used to own an old farmhouse with little in the way of insulation. We heated with LP at the time and it was expensive even at 1970's prices. At the time we worked away from home and would be gone for 10 - 12 hours each weekday. While we were gone, I set the thermostat at 45º and set it to come up to 65º a half an hour before our expected return time. At night, I set the temperature to 55º and set it to warm up a half an hour before we got up.

Over that winter, I graphed run times for the "on" and "setback" time and calculated the ratio, including the first warmup period in the "setback " group. When I compared the results, I concluded that I had save more than 50% on heating costs doing this.
Southern Wisconsin's climate is definitely colder than here. Some of those old farm houses there are scary. Lived in one about 30 miles W of Madison that we joked you could start a marble in the middle of the floor and it would build up enough speed from the slope to go through the wall by the time it got there.

Southern Wisconsin's climate is definitely colder than here. Some of those old farm houses there are scary. Lived in one about 30 miles W of Madison that we joked you could start a marble in the middle of the floor and it would build up enough speed from the slope to go through the wall by the time it got there.
Whereabnouts did you live? We are 25 miles west of Madison halfway between 18/151 and 14.

Back