OT - Welcome to Sunny California

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Two weeks ago we were well on our way into spring. The crocus were blooming and the redbud was putting on a spectacular show a few miles down the hill. The weather was just beautiful, so I started preparing for woodcutting season. I took the plow and chains off the truck and aired the tires up to 60 psi. Last weekend we had a surprise fall of snow, about 5-6 in., but it melted off quickly. The forecast for the coming week was a 6-12 inches of snow mixed with rain. Just in case, I put the plow back on the truck, but not that chains, daring Mother Nature to do something about it. It started to snow last night. By about 10:00 we had about 4 in. , so I hooked up the pull-plow to my Honda wagon and made sure that Momma would have no trouble getting to work. I woke this morning to this

WP_20200317_06_29_41_Pro.jpg

That's her Prius in the foreground. Fortunately, her AWD Matrix had its snow tires on and had been prepared for duty. She made it out fine, but told me that snow was flowing up over the hood as she drove out to the highway. It took me until about 8:30 am to find my Goretex, dress and steel my nerves. Walking out to the truck I was sinking to my knees. It took nearly an hour to lower the tire pressure and put the chains on all 4 tires. It took 'til noon to plow our driveway, the lane we live on and the lane that connects to the county road. It's been snowing continuously all day. I had to go rescue the daughter, SIL and grandbaby who lost power, then go out and plow some more. Here's what it looks like now

WP_20200317_18_47_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20200317_18_47_59_Pro.jpg

There was no snow on the roof and virtually none on the ground yesterday morning. It's still snowing hard and is forecast to continue all night. I'll probably have to plow again before I go to bed.

Be careful what you wish for.

You can send it up here, we need it or our irrigation allotment will be cut short................:burned up:

That's her Prius in the foreground. Fortunately, her AWD Matrix had its snow tires on and had been prepared for duty. She made it out fine, but told me that snow was flowing up over the hood as she drove out to the highway.
I've done that too when the snow is powdery and dry. I was driving to Michigan one time with my sister and BIL and 2 kids is a little hyundai 2 door. We were in the last stretch, about an hour out from destination when we hit "lake effect snow" and my sister made me drive as everyone else was asleep and she was scared. Was really weird, we were driving north on 131 and the grass was showing and the moon was out. Maybe 5 miles from M55 the snow started and the road rapidly deteriorated.

That last hour took 4 hours, the plows weren't out as it was after midnight. Snow was about 1 foot deep on the road and it would push into a pile in front of the car and then go over the windshield. I navigated by the center line rumblers. Luckily we never saw another vehicle until we got into Houghton Lake where the road widens.

Put on the big snowshoes yesterday and packed a trail out to the satellite dish. Took a yardstick with me.

WP_20200318_11_30_25_Pro.jpg

@MrWhoopee - is that a ~71 C10 or C20?
29" ?!!
Had to go look up Shingletown - @3500' - Foothills leading into Lassen?

It's a '68 C20, 4.56 gearing w/80 lb lead weights on the rear axle.
P1000728.JPG

We're at 4000', halfway between 'town' and the park.
It's melting fast, but there's a little more in the forecast.
Bring it!

Drat! I was three years off. Those are cool, tough trucks.
First plow truck I ever operated was a mint '70 C20. Two-Tone red/white.
I was a filling station pump jockey. (remember when?)
There was a large parking lot for commuters that the owner leased spots on and we'd clear it just before closing up.

It always amazes me how much the snowfall increases with elevation in the Sierras. We’re at about 2600’, rarely get any snow, but the airport is 2 miles away at 3150’, and gets 2 or 3 times the total snowfall. And at 4000’, you get MrWhoopee’s snowfall.

Nevada City...below the snow, above the fog. Camelot.

Back