Ouch! broke my Emmert pattern makers vise

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Was being stupid, heard the crack and here it is:

IMG_4560.jpg

Cast Iron, all the strength needed is in tension. The thread broken part is about 2" dia with a 1" center hole.
There is plenty of meat to it, I could probably expand the size of the bore and install a steel sleeve and then braze it back together?

It also would be quite doable to make the threaded section out of steel with a smaller diameter "tang" that was then pinned into an expanded bore in the bar.

The bar piece is too long for my lathe or mill, but have a friend or two with bigger machines that could help.
The threaded section has a grub screw in the part that threads on - there is quite a mangled spot where it's been tightened down over the ages. I could also clean that up / fix it as long as I need to rebuild it.

I got this antique years ago for free, so can't really complain, but annoyed at my stupidity in breaking by over clamping.

Looking for any suggestions, experience etc as to the best approach to rebuild it.

Bore it out and thread it, do it with it clamped tightly as the repair, size to be determined by the hole.

If something goes through the hole, then consider clearance.

One could buy a grade 8 or 10 bolt that is large enough to allow it to be bored out to hole size.

You may be able to instead tap one side as the nut, place a taper on the other with slots in the hollow bolt to allow tightening.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have a handle on what's needed to repair it, I'm sure it will work out! I have one I picked up in 1998 that I have never mounted. maybe it's time.

If something goes through the hole, then consider clearance.
The vise screw goes through the hole - that's why I'm thinking of enlarging the hole in the bar and then making a new part that slips in and is pinned to the bar from each side.

One should realize that these are made to hold wood, not double for a press. Having said that, I was given a broken one just as was shown in the picture, I bored out the slide, threaded the bored hole and made a replacement part out of steel and secured it with loctite. I subsequently sold it to a friend, with an admonishment to not overdo the tightening, and also to look for a part on E Bay to replace it, if possible; I have seen them listed for about $100.

There is a replacement casting for it. I am trying to remember the web site. I think it is in Oregon. A retired pattern maker. Found the site looking for castings for a straight edge. I found it. martinmodel.com. They have replacement castings for the part.

Last edited:
One should realize that these are made to hold wood, not double for a press.
Oh one was very aware of that. However one is also impulsive, inquisitive and goal driven. Who would have though that you can break a casting by trying to crush air.

:p

I bored out the slide, threaded the bored hole and made a replacement part out of steel
This seems like the best option so far. I was thinking along this line of repair. I can do most if it myself in my shop. Will still need a friend with a mill or lathe big enough to bore the long bar.

Back