Overlooked a gem

Eyerelief

Registered
Registered
When I bought my lathe off my mentor years back, included was a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck as well as a 5C collet holder. He had told me many times that the 3 jaw was a "hi dollar" chuck. By the time I got them, both chucks were laying in his shop on the floor, heavily rusted, froze up and covered up. They had become too heavy for him to move. The collet holder was in the spindle (stuck, but that's another story).
When I got them home, I freed up both chucks, but the 3 jaw was showing about .006 runout. I set it aside thinking I wanted a set tru anyway. Been using the 4 jaw ever since. I didn't realize that Pratt Burnerd was making "set tru" or "set rite" chucks back in the 70's and 80's. Last night I looked up the model number of mine online to see what it might be worth. That model number was listed as a "set rite" chuck. The adjustment screws were seized but a little penetrating oil and they popped free. Once free, I could see predictable movement on the indicator.

Soooo, I spent the day with a scotch brite pad and some brake fluid cleaning it up to see what I could do with it. Once cleaned up, , indicating against the Kalamazoo collet holder I was able runout to less than a .001 with very little effort. The brake fluid did a fantastic job of getting under the rust. Loaded it up with some fresh grease and will run it for a while and see how it does.
I didn't take a before pic as I didn't think this project was going anywhere. The chuck was a decoy to put me in the shop with an abundance of ice cold adult beverages performing some mind numbing task to keep me from doing anything relevant.
Here is both of the chucks sitting on the pallet the day I hauled them off.
chuck.jpg

Here is the 3 jaw today:

chuk.jpg

The chuck was a decoy to put me in the shop with an abundance of ice cold adult beverages performing some mind numbing task to keep me from doing anything relevant.
That was the best part. LOL

Awesome job on that. I have a 6" Pratt Bernard sitting in my shop that bought at an auction a couple of years ago. I have never used it nor even looked at it that close. I guess I should go see what mine is all about.

I own a couiple Pratt Bernerd chucks and I *love* them. I'm lusting over a 10" 6 jaw set-tru universal chuck, but I just can't pull the trigger on a 3500$ CDN purchase. One day I'll find a used one.

I own a couiple Pratt Bernerd chucks and I *love* them. I'm lusting over a 10" 6 jaw set-tru universal chuck, but I just can't pull the trigger on a 3500$ CDN purchase. One day I'll find a used one.
Hate to say this, but I have literally been watching this buck chuck for well over a year. Price has dropped from $850 plus shipping to $750 plus shipping:
I need for someone to buy it so I don't.

That chuck cleaned up really well!

I got a 6” 3 jaw bison set tru chuck for $200 (online auction where you could bid at the shop) with a hardinge taper mount backplate, was very clean and smooth but I looked at the taper and it looked like someone has put a handful of chips in there before putting it on the lathe, used a round stone and got the dings out and about 0.001” runout, looked to good to be true and it was.

The chuck was a decoy to put me in the shop with an abundance of ice cold adult beverages performing some mind numbing task to keep me from doing anything relevant.
I have a whole garage and 2 basements and a Kubota tractor I use as decoys , and sometimes the zero turn actually does some real work . :grin: That PB chuck turned out great , and they are expensive chucks if you can even find them . :encourage:

Very nice! I got a 6" PB set tru at an auction a couple of years ago, essentially for free after selling the other stuff in the lot, and like it a great deal. Good grip and very little runout.

I love my little PB 6-jaw. I haven't decided whether to keep it and try and find a d1-6 back plate to fit the new lathe, or just let it go down river. I'd probably regret it later, it's the best chuck I have.

Thread title reminds me of this little moment:

Nice work!

I fell into a 'New-Open Box' 6" Pratt-Burnerd 4-jaw about a year ago. Had to completely dismantle, clean, and make a backing plate for it, but what a chuck! I use it much more regularly than my 8" 4-jaw. Yours cleaned up better than mine, but I have no complaints. Here are some before-and-after pic's, and one showing one of the two chuck keys I made for it.

Regards

IMG_1088.jpgIMG_1093.jpgIMG_1137.jpgIMG_1145.jpg

Back