Oxy-Acetylene Price Question

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Would like to buy an oxy-acetylene setup to do some brazing. The owner told me $500 for this setup. Seems around what these are going for around here. Thought about propane at one point but decided against it. Opinions?

I don’t have Facebook, but I can tell you that I love my O/A setup. I bought Victor equipment, including both medium & large torches. I have a dedicated gas welding (includes brazing and cutting) cart, and this cart sees a *lot* of use.

Of course, make sure that your local welding supply will refill your gases if what you are looking at includes cylinders. I bought my own cylinders.

I like gas welding because it is more quiet than arc welding processes. I find gas welding to be more relaxing than arc welding processes because the work unfolds more slowly. For thin steel (e.g. less than .0625”), I am pretty much going to choose gas welding. For me, I can *setup* for gas welding much faster than for TIG.

I like brazing because there is no chance of blowing a hole in the steel. That means less stress on the operator! With brazing, you can just use Shade 5 and 6 safety glasses. No need to don a welding hood. This allows for a conversation if you have a buddy in the shop while you are brazing. I have brazed in a T-shirt & shorts, as well. You’re not going to weld wearing that!

What sort of flux are you planning on using? I use the bronze filler paste flux & filler rod below as they are designed to be used with one another:

and

I use a liberal amount of flux, often to the point of some excess flux dripping on the welding table or floor.

If you have a big gap in your fit-up, you will have a rough time. A tight gap will save you money on bronze, as you can make a smaller fillet.

*If you apply too much heat you are going to have a bad time*. Get in, do some work and let ‘er cool down a fair amount before bringing the heat again.

I wait a long time (I try for overnight) before washing off the flux. I use hours of soaking in a 5 gallon bucket, warm (almost hot) water, elbow grease & dish soap if all of that doesn’t work. Make sure you get off 100% of the flux!

Last edited:
Would like to buy an oxy-acetylene setup to do some brazing. The owner told me $500 for this setup. Seems around what these are going for around here. Thought about propane at one point but decided against it. Opinions?
I have a oxy/acetylene setup. I put it together with a set of used Victor torches for $200, bought a 125 cu ft oxygen tank and an 80 cu ft acetylene tank and new hoses. All in I'm around $500-$600
One thing to watch out for is whether the tanks are owned by the seller or leased from Praxair etc. The latter typically have some identification around the neck of the bottle. The challenge with those is that they can be difficult/impossible to refill unless you go back to where they came from.

He said they were owned. He only live twenty minutes from me. I'll ask about refilling the tanks.
I also asked about the regulators as I know the Victors are made in China now.

Because I have a combination (i.e. welding and cutting) torch, I was able to skip buying a plasma cutter. This saved money & space.

A dedicated cutting torch is better for cutting than a combination torch, if you have money and space for one. I don’t have space for a dedicated cutting torch, so I have to adjust the gas settings on my combination torch every time I go from welding to cutting and vice-versa.

Last edited:
I have no plans on cutting anything. Just brazing and maybe welding.

Buying a used set of regulators, hoses and torch set at that price is very reasonable. If at all possible, ask the seller if you can preform a leak check and run the hoses, and shut torch to max operating pressure then back before buying. I know for a particular Harris model of regulator, if you over tighten the Tee handle when not in use, then relies the Tee handle prior to use and adjust accordingly. You may very well get to a situation where you are happily cutting or welding at 5-6psi, boost it to 7-8psi, then it suddenly it gives you 30+ psi and blows the flame out with a fireball. I can send a photo Monday evening. All because a non welder, walked past the welding cart, saw that the right side gauge was off the peg and thought, "I'd better turn that knob all the way CW so we don't loose gas over night" despite all the shut off valves being tight.

Needles to say it renders an expensive regulator unsafe for usage, a less than honest seller may well try to sell it off.

Edit: grammar.

Last edited:
Because I have a combination (i.e. welding and cutting) torch, I was able to skip buying a plasma cutter. This saved money & space.

A dedicated cutting torch is better for cutting than a combination torch, if you have money and space for one. I don’t have space for a dedicated cutting torch, so I have to adjust the gas settings on my combination torch every time I go from welding to cutting and vice-versa.
depends on what you do. I have a medium OA set and a small plasma. For sheet steel up to 3/8” the Hypertherm 35 plasma is so much easier to use and cleaner cut than OA. I have had my OA set for 25yrs and never once used the cutting torch which in shops I was in OA cutting was all I used until using a plasma. I also have no room but couldn’t live without the OA and plasma. All I’ve ever used my OA for is welding/brazing/soldering steel, aluminum and copper and other stuff like heat treating etc.

I use the gas torch all the time on the farm. You can use propane to cut with ,but not to weld with. It is nice to have both the cutting torch and welding tips. Don’t use it much for welding , but the welding tips are good for silver hard soldering carbide blanks on to a mild steel bit or brazing. Don’t forget about a good sized rose bud tip for heating steel to bend, forge, or heat treat with. Rusted bolt or bearings on farm equipment are another good use for a torch.

Back