Oxy acetylene regulator question

Very interesting!

My night class at the local community college for oxyacetylene welding said to never open the O2 bottle valve fully.
Full-open for the acetylene, but that was nearly 30 years ago now.
I will have to check some other sources, too.... not that I don't trust you guys......

My initial take on the first symptom here (pressure drop 40-20psi) when cutting was that the O2 bottle was empty or nearly so.
However that cannot explain the pressure creep to 100psi.

-brino
This IS interesting! I was taught just the opposite! This was in the mid '60's. Instructor at the local college explained that the acetylene bottle was to be opened no more than two turns in case you needed to shut down the flow quickly......as in doing something stupid like burning through the hose or letting it come in contact with freshly torched material. He had been teaching a long time and probably had some exciting experience to draw from....like someone knocking over the oxygen bottle, which broke off the valve, and having the bottle escape the building by crashing through a wooden door that opened out onto the alleyway.

This IS interesting! I was taught just the opposite! This was in the mid '60's. Instructor at the local college explained that the acetylene bottle was to be opened no more than two turns in case you needed to shut down the flow quickly......as in doing something stupid like burning through the hose or letting it come in contact with freshly torched material. He had been teaching a long time and probably had some exciting experience to draw from....like someone knocking over the oxygen bottle and having it escape the building by crashing through a wooden door that opened out on the alleyway.
I was taught the same thing almost 50yrs ago. Since I never use the cutting torch I don’t need that much pressure. I did have to put a kit in one of my regulators after 20yrs of use because it started acting up.

I was taught to adjust the regulators only while flowing as this is your working pressure.
Interesting indeed.
For what it's worth I was a welder for 40 years and taught night school welding for pipe trades for 22 years. Either I know what I'm saying or I've been doing it wrong all those years. Open valve fully on the O2 and 1/2 to 1 turn on Acet and adjust with flow.

Back