P is for planer, isn't she cute.

Anybody know rpm the drive needs

• 500 at the drive ,,, too fast?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300 @ the drive

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
3 phase for the idler- 1750 rpm- (3400 rpm will work in a pinch)
I see on the schematic you have fuses listed , but I don't see any on the build. I'm trying to find the parts , if I was in better shape I'd go to a junk yard or a surplus buyer named fazzios in south Jersey. The way I understand ill need a 250 to 300 uf capacitor 220 volt. The contactor 220 three phase two push button switches, I have some twist lock plugs, I can order 12-4 so wire , I have 10ga. Hardwire to feed it . Just for the RPC ????? Please help if I'm wrong I hate buying the wrong things , I don't have the money anyway. But after bit I 'll sell or make some money to do it.

I see on the schematic you have fuses listed , but I don't see any on the build. I'm trying to find the parts , if I was in better shape I'd go to a junk yard or a surplus buyer named fazzios in south Jersey. The way I understand ill need a 250 to 300 uf capacitor 220 volt. The contactor 220 three phase two push button switches, I have some twist lock plugs, I can order 12-4 so wire , I have 10ga. Hardwire to feed it . Just for the RPC ????? Please help if I'm wrong I hate buying the wrong things , I don't have the money anyway. But after bit I 'll sell or make some money to do it.

Good eye Silverbullet,
the unit i made in the video was for a 2 hp motor.
the unit was beefed up after the video was made to 7.5 hp and the fuses were installed
the line fuses were 40 amps, the control fuses are 1 amp (for 7.5 hp)
you'll need 30 amp fuses for line fuses for a 5hp motor

Ok , went outside for a few hours had appointment with a craigslist seller. Well we did a trade so now I've got a 2 HP 3 phase GE motor new in the box , it's rpm is 1140 should make the planer drive wheels rotate under 500 rpms . Flat belts came too. Not leather but a rather strong rubbery feel to them there gray. I have a couple lacers and the metal clips . I have some wider leather but no 1" in any length. All that has to wait till it's mounted and the super structure gets built . I think I've enough angle and channel steel . The shame of it is last summer I sold a set of cast iron legs that would have fit this or the atlas mill. It's always the way they been behind the shop for thirty years and I'm dumb enough to sell them. Still no line on the RPC parts , ill keep looking but they want to much money I think. Have to call a buddy he may know where I can scrounge up used things . Any wonder I get flusterated.

I've just been looking for three to five hp motors for the last six or so hrs. Does the motor need to be three phase or single phase? If I need a contractor it's no problem I have a couple boxes that are for electric. About 12" square . No problem drilling and mounting them and switch to turn on off . I have done some wireing in my time , just not contractors and heaters for machinery.

One thing to remember when selecting electric motors. An electric motor only draws enough power, amps or watts whichever way you want look at it, to do the job it has to do. So if the job requires 3 HP and you have a suitable 4 or 5 HP motor available at the right price go for it. It will use scarcely any more power than a 3 HP motor. It is more important to worry about having the right RPM, and of course voltage etc. And does it actually fit where it needs to go. Much better to oversize than undersize with electric motors.

View attachment 226107 View attachment 226108 View attachment 226109 Today , something I've been wanting and waiting for arrived. Just as four other people came to look at and buy items on craigslist. My daughter and I had our hands full moving drawers of nuts and bolts , boxes of parts tools and more. All had to be moved to get an old woodworking bench made of cypress. And a singer 29-4 sewing machine sold. Plus I traded a 15" Bridgeport rotary table to get the planer and the overhead pulley shaft . Good deal for me and him I think. She'll take some cleaning and time but eventually ill be getting her set up and making chips . I can't wait but have to my spines to messed up now.
Dear God please help us old cripples on this forum we need health healing. TACH] View attachment 226108 View attachment 226107 View attachment 226108 H]

Beautiful, never seen one that small. as for the speed you might get lucky and find a makers plate with such info on it when you clean it up. otherwise work it backwards from the tooling you intend to use get SF/M, work out the gearing in the machine, then pulley sizes back to your motor.

One thing to remember when selecting electric motors. An electric motor only draws enough power, amps or watts whichever way you want look at it, to do the job it has to do. So if the job requires 3 HP and you have a suitable 4 or 5 HP motor available at the right price go for it. It will use scarcely any more power than a 3 HP motor. It is more important to worry about having the right RPM, and of course voltage etc. And does it actually fit where it needs to go. Much better to oversize than undersize with electric motors.
That's the reason I jumped on the GE motor the slower speed. The Boston motor was 1750 rpms. Looked ALOT like a baldor motor but labeled Boston. And it wasn't built like the big finned GE industrial motor. Another reason I chose 2 horsepower I'd bet the whole line shaft in the place wasnt using more then 5hp to run his shop. He had a 20" shaper #2 mill ,this planer and drill press . Probably more machines I don't know of. I wish I could have gotten all of them but no money . I was really lucky I had something he wanted. Really nice guy too delivered to me and picked up his new Bridgeport rotary table 15". There are still good people out there. He new I was going to use it not resell or any other way to profit. I'm just trying to live the life I wanted before I go. I was cheated out of my chosen profession by an illness and bad operation.

Nice find. Planers are hard enough to come by, let alone one that size.

Good eye Silverbullet,
the unit i made in the video was for a 2 hp motor.
the unit was beefed up after the video was made to 7.5 hp and the fuses were installed
the line fuses were 40 amps, the control fuses are 1 amp (for 7.5 hp)
you'll need 30 amp fuses for line fuses for a 5hp motor
Puma here's what I have so far start cap 216-259 mfd, run caps 50-5 mfd, and 15 mfds x 2, square d control with started stop push buttons with an indicator light . Buss fuse block three line, and 25 amp fuses . I'm looking for a 5hp motor and terminal block. The enclosure box I have . Do I need more or less. I picked up a manual start contactor for the motor on the planer , square d also with separate 30 amp fuse switch box. Have I bought the right amount of things so far? Going batty being inside. Supposed to get epidural shot on Tuesday .If it don't take going to Jeff In Philly .

hey silverbullet, it looks like you have more than you'll need to make a fine RPC
the fun will be in making your first unit!
looking good so far :)

Back