P2-3 size and adaptability as manual mill

pkemner

Registered
Registered
There's a P2-3 near me, and I don't own a mill yet. I can think up some uses for the Pantograph, but not enough to justify the space it would take up.
I've looked at the catalog pages, and they say it's 54"w x 73" deep. I wonder if the 54" is for cranking the table all the way left and right. If so, how wide is the base? Can the depth be reduced when it's not in use?
If I wanted to use it as a regular mill, what's the largest dia cutter I could adapt it to? I'd expect to need to slow the rotation for a larger cutter. It has a 1hp single phase motor.

Very cool machines, I'm trying to find space for one of the smaller 2D models.

My understanding is the pantomills can be used as light mills, but more of an added capability for work needing high spindle speeds to run small endmills, probably not very satisfying or practical as your primary mill. Looks like the P2-3 can only take endmills up to 3/8".

I don't think that I would want a Pantomill in place of a standard vertical milling machine, and as stated, they would take up a lot of real estate, I do however quite like my Gorton 3 - U pantographs an addition to my other two mills, I have used it for profiling, in addition to making nameplates, etc. and steel stamps.

Can it do 1:1 duplication too? If so it would be useful for things like musical instrument tops etc.
Haven't seen it yet, but it's a fraction of the price of the cheapest hf bench top mill. :p
Most of the mill work I can think of is rather light- milling flutes in custom reamers, etc.
Which in a way makes the size more absurd.

Can it do 1:1 duplication too? If so it would be useful for things like musical instrument tops etc.
Haven't seen it yet, but it's a fraction of the price of the cheapest hf bench top mill. :p
Most of the mill work I can think of is rather light- milling flutes in custom reamers, etc.
Which in a way makes the size more absurd.
I think that most all of the Gorton machines can do 1:1 ratio, I know that mine can, but it is not real handy to do, the tail tries to wag the dog so to speak.

I think that most all of the Gorton machines can do 1:1 ratio, I know that mine can, but it is not real handy to do, the tail tries to wag the dog so to speak.
Sounds like 4x templates are in order!

My friend had one in his shop before the fire took it along with everything else. I think he only used it for light milling but it's probably still better than a mini mill. And they are cool, I'd go for it if the price is right and you can shoehorn it into your space.

I had a 1-22 for a while and that thing was stout, love the Gorton stuff....

John

I talked to the owner, and it's a 3S, not a P2-3. Not quite as huge and heavy. It can do from 1:1 to 1:6. I'll try and see it in person next week.

Gorton 3S

Gorton 3S.png

Not sure it would make a good "first" mill...... But Stefan Gotteswinter has made some pretty cool stuff using his Pantograph Engraver/Mill.

He has since sold it and now makes the items he would have made using the Pantograph Engraver/Mill with his CNC Router.

Back