Painting in the Home Shop

I will never be as good with a brush and roller as my dad was. That said, I am coming around to brushing and rolling paint more and more. Done properly, it looks really nice, is quicker to do, gives a good heavy coat of paint, and requires far less and easier prep and cleanup than spraying. It also seems to look more natural and appropriate on older machines.

Last edited:
I will never be as good with a brush and roller as my dad was. That said, I am coming around to brushing and rolling paint more and more. Done properly, it looks really nice, is quicker to do, gives a good heavy coat of paint, and requires far less and easier prep and cleanup. It also seems to look more natural and appropriate on older machines.
I need to agree, finish and ease of doing....Important.

@cg285
Or just a donation of a good Ingersoll or Kellogg compressor.

i would have been glad to donate one, better than what you asked for, if you had asked sooner. back in sept i scrapped a perfectly good bad azz 15hp devilbis - because no one wanted it (plus i was on a deadline to vacate). i had two others and no room for three when i moved.

lots of things get painted without a booth. since i sold my booth when i moved anything i paint now is done like it used to when i first started out.

i sprayed my bridgeport a few months back. turned the a/c off, cracked a door, put a fan on the door to the shop area and turned the big shop fan on. was probably overkill

i'm not very skilled with a brush. when i paint something with a brush it looks like it.

Well, the first attempt at Citristrip is on the pedestal of my Rockwell carbide grinder and we'll see how it does tomorrow night when I scrape the paint off of it. I hope to get a few coats of paint on it this week, but we'll see. I'll report back with pictures of before and after and opinions on paint rollers.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I used CitriStrip on portions of my 1946 B&S surface grinder that had several layers of paint on them. It worked amazingly well, smelled good, and did not require a lot of safety precautions. The old paints were probably enamels, and I will certainly use it again for similar paint stripping in the future. I was (and am) completely happy with CitriStrip.

I used CitriStrip on portions of my 1946 B&S surface grinder that had several layers of paint on them. It worked amazingly well, smelled good, and did not require a lot of safety precautions. The old paints were probably enamels, and I will certainly use it again for similar paint stripping in the future. I was (and am) completely happy with CitriStrip.
Bob (and others),
Just a reminder to protect your skin when using CitriStrip. While it's a lot more friendly than other methods, it will definitely burn your skin if it stays on for a few minutes (don't ask me how I know! :xmaslights:) While not severe, it definitely burned/itched for a day or so after I washed well.

Evan

Bob (and others),
Just a reminder to protect your skin when using CitriStrip. While it's a lot more friendly than other methods, it will definitely burn your skin if it stays on for a few minutes (don't ask me how I know! :xmaslights:) While not severe, it definitely burned/itched for a day or so after I washed well.

Evan
Yes, Evan. Definitely need to wear gloves with CitriStrip. Also need to wash off immediately any that gets on your skin. It is still a strong alkaline product.

I try hard not to leave anything on my skin for long... Mineral spirits actively hurts after a short time these days after using it a little too much cleaning old machinery, so I wear nitrile gloves the whole time I'm playing in the shop. Not to mention I need a lot less scrubbing with the Fast Orange to get my hands clean enough to eat afterwards. I also wear ear plugs a lot of the time and safety glasses all of the time. Safety first and precautions taken at all times!

My Citristrip job is going *great*. I'll still be spending a while on the grinder pedestal getting the rust at the bottom solved, but the Citristrip saved me *hours* already, not to mention prevented the use of abrasives on the end bells and other components of the grinder itself that I'd much rather keep close to pristine.

Thanks,
Will

I like Citri-solv product also, I have found lots of uses for it. My lady friend had a graffiti artist lay a black stripe on her white car door. A few minutes of scrubbing with some sponges and the citrus liquid and bingo- no more black paint, and no damage to the factory finish underneath
Mark

Brush vs. Spray- the age-old debate. Kinda like Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy. Having spent 20 some-odd years in the trades, I will offer this-
Unless you are painting a car, with THAT sort of high dollar products, it boils down to personal preference, skill, experience, and time allotted for the job.
Masking off for a spray job takes time. Brush/roller takes time. The details of the specific job, and the skills, talent and patience of the man doing the job will determine which is best.
And ANY job that requires stripping off ALL the old paint to bare metal/wood means a complete revisit to the bidding/figuring/pricing process:eek 2:

Back