Pallet Jack Recommendation

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've had an old, worn out pallet jack for a couple of years... it started bleeding down a couple of months ago, so a few weeks ago, I bought a Strongway 5500 lb jack from Northern Tool.

The first time I used the new jack, I was trying to move a 3800 lb mill across a smooth concrete floor. The jack lifted the weight fine, but would not roll at all... wouldn't budge...

I finally used the old jack to move the mill... and returned the new jack and got a refund.

Today, the old jack finally died... with every pump, it rises a little, then sinks back down. I topped off the oil and bled it, but it didn't help any...

So, I need some recommendations on a good, useable jack, hopefully one that won't require a second mortgage, but it would be nice to get one that will roll under load...

Thanks- Bear

No recommendations regarding a new jack (I live near HGR surplus, if I needed one I would go there). However, have you thought about repairing the one you have? Most likely the problem is a seal or O-ring. Sounds like you have nothing to lose - take it apart and see if you can find the problem.

Yeah... I'm planning to look at it tomorrow, put it up on sawhorses so I can see it without standing on my head...

-Bear

I've had an old, worn out pallet jack for a couple of years... it started bleeding down a couple of months ago, so a few weeks ago, I bought a Strongway 5500 lb jack from Northern Tool.

The first time I used the new jack, I was trying to move a 3800 lb mill across a smooth concrete floor. The jack lifted the weight fine, but would not roll at all... wouldn't budge...

I finally used the old jack to move the mill... and returned the new jack and got a refund.

Today, the old jack finally died... with every pump, it rises a little, then sinks back down. I topped off the oil and bled it, but it didn't help any...

So, I need some recommendations on a good, useable jack, hopefully one that won't require a second mortgage, but it would be nice to get one that will roll under load...

Thanks- Bear

You can almost certainly rebuild the hydraulics on your old jack. If you don't feel like doing it yourself
try these folks: Metro Hydraulic Jack Co. in Newark NJ. (973-350-0111). They just rebuilt the hydraulics
on my floor jack.

it would appear that you may have one of 2 problems.
first, the check ball as mentioned before, must seat, or fluid gets by
secondary is internal seal bypass, the fluid is leaking internally past the ram seal.

does the pallet jack leak any fluid?
usually, topping off a hydraulic unit means there was leakage.

it would appear that you may have one of 2 problems.
first, the check ball as mentioned before, must seat, or fluid gets by
secondary is internal seal bypass, the fluid is leaking internally past the ram seal.

does the pallet jack leak any fluid?
usually, topping off a hydraulic unit means there was leakage.

No, no noticeable leaks... the oil was just barely below the level of the fill plug.

I've never been into a hydraulic jack... where is the check ball and o-rings located? Would they be in the valve?

-Bear

I can't say for all jacks but usually there is one ball valve and seat under the closure valve and one at the bottom end of the ram.
Seldom does the main ram seal take to leaking from my experience.

I took the valve out... didn't see anything particularly wrong with it, but decided to see if I could order a rebuild kit... anyway, while I was looking at it, I noticed a broken weld on the frame of the pallet jack. I grabbed a light and started going over the whole jack... there are 3 broken welds and a couple of obvious cracks in the left fork.

I've decided its time to retire it. I could weld the cracks up and re-weld the broken welds, but how many cracks are there that I can't see?

I'll just see if I can find a new one. I just don't know enough about them to know what brands are quality and which ones are not.

-Bear

Back