Parting blade holder for AXA QCTP in a mini lathe

dts

Registered
Registered
Hi. I'm looking for a wedge type AXA QCTP.

I have a brand new VEVOR 7"x14" mini lathe with 550w variable speed motor and digital display. I measured the vertical distance from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle at just over 0.6 inches.

Here are some of the items I have looked at purchasing:

AXA Size Wedge Type Tool Post 250-111
Amazon ASIN: B07THXG6R6

findmall 6Pcs AXA 250-100 Tool Post Set for Lathe Swing 6-12 Inch
Amazon ASIN: B08K8XLPS7

Accusize Industrial Tools Style Axa, Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post for Lathe Swing 6-12"
Amazon ASIN: B01AISKZ08

A couple of those mention that a height of 0.60" is adequate, but my concern is related to the parting blade holder. I already have an issue with the stock tool post setting parting tools too high with no shims. Then I saw this comment on Amazon for one of the QCTPs above:

Q: Will this fit a central machinery 7x10 lathe?
A: It fit mine but the cut off blade can’t be used. The height can’t be set properly to use it.

My questions are:

1. These AXA QCTPs seem to require at least 0.60" from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle. I have a bit (about 0.025) more than that. How can I determine if that will be sufficient for the 250-107 parting blade holder to work properly with the QCTP?

2. Why are most (all?) 250-107 parting blade holders angled upwards?

3. What is the difference in the 4 and 7 degree angles?

4. For parting with HSS blades in a QCTP, what tool holder issues should I be aware of?

Hi. I'm looking for a wedge type AXA QCTP.

I have a brand new VEVOR 7"x14" mini lathe with 550w variable speed motor and digital display. I measured the vertical distance from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle at just over 0.6 inches.

Here are some of the items I have looked at purchasing:

AXA Size Wedge Type Tool Post 250-111
Amazon ASIN: B07THXG6R6

findmall 6Pcs AXA 250-100 Tool Post Set for Lathe Swing 6-12 Inch
Amazon ASIN: B08K8XLPS7

Accusize Industrial Tools Style Axa, Wedge Type Quick Change Tool Post for Lathe Swing 6-12"
Amazon ASIN: B01AISKZ08

A couple of those mention that a height of 0.60" is adequate, but my concern is related to the parting blade holder. I already have an issue with the stock tool post setting parting tools too high with no shims. Then I saw this comment on Amazon for one of the QCTPs above:

Q: Will this fit a central machinery 7x10 lathe?
A: It fit mine but the cut off blade can’t be used. The height can’t be set properly to use it.

My questions are:

1. These AXA QCTPs seem to require at least 0.60" from the top of the compound to the center of the spindle. I have a bit (about 0.025) more than that. How can I determine if that will be sufficient for the 250-107 parting blade holder to work properly with the QCTP?

2. Why are most (all?) 250-107 parting blade holders angled upwards?

3. What is the difference in the 4 and 7 degree angles?

4. For parting with HSS blades in a QCTP, what tool holder issues should I be aware of?
I just installed a AXA on a mini lathe .
The OXA is a better size for a mini lathe. I already had the AXA and the holders.

Dave tool post.jpg

If looking to do AXA you need a 9/16" NF tap or buy a compound slide.

I purchased a compound from a smaller lathe and tap for the AXA.

Dave

I don't know, but I suspect you want a smaller holder for a 7" I think an 0XA might be the better choice.
Just my opinion.
I'm sure OXA would be easier to install, but the extra rigidity of the AXA will be better if I can mount it properly. Also, AXA tool holders are probably easier to obtain.

If looking to do AXA you need a 9/16" NF tap or buy a compound slide.

I purchased a compound from a smaller lathe and tap for the AXA.

Dave
Thanks for that link.

Have you had any issues with parting tool height?

You cold face the bottom of the parting tool holder off enough to get the drop. Would not even have to be faced off square. Toolpost keeps it vertical.

Last edited:
I'm sure OXA would be easier to install, but the extra rigidity of the AXA will be better if I can mount it properly. Also, AXA tool holders are probably easier to obtain.
The rigidity would be better if you had a bigger machine with more heft.
The 0XA is the size that a 7" should have. You may think the AXA will give you more rigidity, But more rigidity starts at the machine, not the holder. The holder (no matter what size) should lock up tight, the slideways are where rigidity is lost, so having loose, or light duty slideways will defeat any supposed gains , which I don't think you will get.

this is my idea for cutoff blades for a small lathe. holes can be drilled and tapped in any tool holder to mount these on the side of holder, or a special tool holder can be made. lots of uses for the small carbide tips from saw blades.
Dave

Attachments

• projects and materials (12).JPG
    projects and materials (12).JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 20
  • projects and materials (13).JPG
    projects and materials (13).JPG
    306 KB · Views: 16
  • projects and materials (14).JPG
    projects and materials (14).JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 16
  • projects and materials (15).JPG