Parting blade holder for AXA QCTP in a mini lathe

FYI
I purchased my AXA tool post in 1970's when Aloris was #2 . Then they had better pricing.

Here is photo of my carriage lock simple but works great.

Dave
20231224_105822.jpg

this is my idea for cutoff blades for a small lathe. holes can be drilled and tapped in any tool holder to mount these on the side of holder, or a special tool holder can be made. lots of uses for the small carbide tips from saw blades.
Dave
Very unusual name.
I never see that name.

Dave

Note If do not have a 9/16" NF tap just turn down the Aloris 9/16 shaft end down to 1/2" or 12mm and thread for a command sizes.

Dave

Here a photo of my post today note the Aluminum spacer to bring tool post to correct hight. It is easier to machie off the aluminum plate for the best height

Dave
20231226_152724.jpg

The rigidity would be better if you had a bigger machine with more heft.
The 0XA is the size that a 7" should have. You may think the AXA will give you more rigidity, But more rigidity starts at the machine, not the holder. The holder (no matter what size) should lock up tight, the slideways are where rigidity is lost, so having loose, or light duty slideways will defeat any supposed gains , which I don't think you will get.
That makes sense. Thanks.

this is my idea for cutoff blades for a small lathe. holes can be drilled and tapped in any tool holder to mount these on the side of holder, or a special tool holder can be made. lots of uses for the small carbide tips from saw blades.
Dave
That's an amazing idea! I will have to try it.

I'm sure OXA would be easier to install, but the extra rigidity of the AXA will be better if I can mount it properly.

I see this thought going around often and largely it is not true.

There are so many other factors other than the size of the toolpost it’s self that it is a non issue and the proper height is what should be considered.

Your compound and cross slide ways are the biggest factor in a rigid setup, and the larger toolpost with its larger and WIDER tool holders just put the tooling that much farther away from the ways.

Ie larger may seem stiffer, but that is not the totality of the mechanics involved.

Back