Parting tool Cust off Blade HSS Help finding one

Denisj

Registered
Registered
Hi all
I am looking for a parting blade for an Armstrong tool holder I have in my hands. I am concerned because according to the armstrong catalog this is not a parting tool holder
My measurements show that the blade should be 3/32 thick and just over 1/2 wide to fit in the tool. There is a beveled edge on the tool holder floor/lower blade support and in teh catalog there is a "special" blade for it.
I found 3/32 x 1/2" blades on MSC but $20ish bucks seems expensive.

Here are the photos, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Armstrong.JPG
Armstrong #2.JPGArmstrong 3.JPG
20200110_111153.jpg20200110_111214.jpg20200110_111214.jpg20200110_111406.jpg

No mystery, it is a side tool holder, not a parting tool holder, a side tool is made for turning only, and the holder is not intended to hold parting tools, the catalog pages pretty much explain and illustrate the difference; I doubt that bits for the side tool holder are or have been available for quite a long time. I should have said that even if the holder is made for the side tool and/or parting tool, it is not at its best when used for parting, for one thing, the clamping wedge sticks out further and gets in the way of a close cut off; the shape of the side tool has much more taper on the left edge than a parting tool to provide clearance for turning operations. It looks like the parting blade would be more like 5/8" wide, not 1/2".

Some further looking at the holders that are close to what you describe, the parting tools are 3/32 X 9/16" in size; it seems that tool holders vary in shank size between manufacturers and different product lines, but I'd figure that 9/16 wide is what you need and definitely not 1/2"

I don't know if this helps you or not. When I was looking for a parting blade for 19-29 tool holder numbers the listed size is 3/32x1/2. But a standard 1/2 blade was to big. Even though the Armstrong blade was listed as being 1/2 the actual size was slightly smaller. About the same as on your tool holder. I also found that the actual part numbers have changed. I found mine on Ebay in the original packaging. Another thing that I found in my search was that the US Government is still buying these blades in 500 blade lots. So they still seem to be made. I would search for the actual part no. Either 2492 for a parting blade or a 2662 for a side tool. Did a quick search on Ebay and this came up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Armstrong-...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219 The new part no seems to be 86-293. Pricey but it will probably fit. You should be able to find it cheaper. Might take awhile.

Can't you grind a square hss blank into a parting tool or grooving tool if you have to? That's what I'm thinking of doing.

Great help guys
I guess this "side tool" is for decoration at this point

Dudemanrod - I am at that point now. I am set up to use 1/4" HSS tooling and it seems a bit small to use when cutting motorcycle wheel axles that are in the neighborhood of 16 to 20 mm.
Gonna do some homework on a toolholder for the lantern toolpost

I did find this..it is the same part number as my tool holder 83-157 and is listed as a parting holder.
The blade to fit is 3/32 x 5/8
Maybe a universal blade should work?Armstrong 4.JPG

I use a norman style QCTP that I made. I was going to make a special holder for a parting blade. Before I went to all that work I decided to try a parting blade in one of the tool holders that I had made. It worked better than anything I had previously tried. Here is my parting blade tool holder. It uses a standard 3/32 x 1/2 blade.

IMG_3765.JPG

How much we talkin and what sizes are these? My lantern can hold 1/2" wide tools

Back