Parting tool Cust off Blade HSS Help finding one

The picture of the 86-471 on eBay is barely readable, but looks like it says 3/32 x 1/2".

The 86-471 is what I bought. It is slightly smaller that 1/2" and fits in armstrong tool holders that call for a 1/2 blade. A true 1/2" blade is too tall and won't fit in the armstrong tool holders.

Pardon the novice question : The holder the op pictured " Side Tool Holder " could someone give an example of where/when it would be used as Armstrong attended ?

I tried using a side tool holder for parting and it did not work very well.

A number of things need to be right for a parting job to be successful. There are lots of tutorials online that explain what they are, and the best ways to get your lathe and tooling set up for best possible parting operations. I am pretty sure that everyone here on H-M who does parting has had problems with doing so, I know I have. Study, getting the setups correct, proper feeds and proper speeds for the size of the work, the material, and the rigidity of the machine and setup, sharp cutter with the correct geometry, and more, all come into play to get a successful parting job. The good news is that things get better over time if you study and work at improving the parameters that are important. I suspect we all have issues with parting at times, even when we think we understand it and do a good job of setting it up. I know I do...

A shaky setup with a light machine and flexible tooling and tougher materials will just make things even more difficult.

I would have guessed cut-off holder. Similar to my Armstrong 2020-R.
Been using mine for cut-off forever.
I would have thought that a side tool blade would be thicker.
I never have never been able to figure out Armstrong holder numbers vs. their catalogs.
And I've never really researched the blade and holder geometry carefully.
The #86-257's shown below measure .478" and not .500" and they are 'flat' (normal) on one side with the relief on the opposing.

The blade in the holder measures .578"
The few 1/2" Empire branded blades I have also measure .478"

0113201827__R.jpg
0113201827a__R.jpg
0113201829__R.jpg

Back