Parting tool too high up

Not since I made the solid plinth.
And always a continuous feed of cutting fluid.
Mild steel and aluminium up to 2" dia and stainless up to 1.25" (so far) in dia.
I dont even set the blade exactly square, just eyeball it and away it goes. Sometimes I dont get it close enough and get a concave or convex cut but other than that no problems now.
Did something similar with my PM-1127. The difference is night and day. Feels like a full size large now.

For all practical purposes, would tightening the compound slide gib screws to solidly lock it up not accomplish the same thing as replacing it with a solid block of steel? IF (big if) it would work, you could then loosen the gib screws for threading or cutting tapers instead of swapping the plinth and the compound each time. I haven’t tried it, so it’s just a theory. Has anyone tried it? Is it wishful thinking?

Tom

For all practical purposes, would tightening the compound slide gib screws to solidly lock it up not accomplish the same thing as replacing it with a solid block of steel? IF (big if) it would work, you could then loosen the gib screws for threading or cutting tapers instead of swapping the plinth and the compound each time. I haven’t tried it, so it’s just a theory. Has anyone tried it? Is it wishful thinking?

Tom
Been there and done that.
What made me start the plinth was watching how much the whole original assembly flexed when cutting. It was visibly noticeable.
I replaced the original flimsy lock ring on the compound with a heavier duty one, this helped a teeny weenie bit but not enough.
Then I made the pitkin donut which was another leap forward in rigidity but still not enough.
The plinth has been a simple but huge success in the quest for greater rigidity.
How often do you need to cut (intentionally) tapers? Its a quick job to swap them back.
Dont let the thought of thread cutting at 90 degrees put you off as so far I have not found a problem with that as long as both side of the tool are equally as sharp and the passes are not ultra heavy.

Pcmaker---it looks like in your picture that your tool post is not set so your toolholder can go below the compound--move it so the dovetails are past the edge of compound so a lower adjustment can be made--Dave

Back