Parts Drawing Help

Jamespvill

Active User
Registered
Hey Folks! It's been a while since I've been able to hop back on the site!

Anywho, I have a question that I feel a bit silly asking...I don't really know what the heck solidworks drawing icons mean! Most of the stuff I get in for CNC or manual is brought in on a piece of paper and scribbled up with no real tolerances or specifications past those that are exchanged by word of mouth.

Anyway, I can't seem to find a cumulative list that defines all the 'icons' (I know that is not the word for them, all this flustering in not knowing what they are has also caused a loss of proper terminology.

So these are the culprits for now...
1127j1d.png 22ex06.png
Also, is there a book or website that would have all theses and their definitions? I am assuming these are all standard across the board.

Thanks folks! This was one of those moments that I thought "How can I call myself a machinist and not even know what theses mean?!"

1127j1d.png

22ex06.png

1127j1d.png

22ex06.png

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reference!

Chuck the grumpy old guy

For years, I used the Volvo Geometric Tolerance Standard 5062, 2e as guide. There are 113 pages of info in that standard and along with the definitions as above, it also included the measurement principles for inspection/qualification.
A Google search for Geometric Tolerance Standard will turn up a number of references. Here is one of the sites: http://docslide.us/engineering/geometric-dimensioning-and-tolerancing.html

I should have said, Bill and Jeff, thanks for the references.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Bill, Jeff, and RJ, Thank you, that is absolutely perfect! I knew I had seen them all over the place but just couldn't think of the name....makes it hard to Google search! As always, the good folks on HM to the rescue!

Best,
James

I can't seem to find a definition for the "CL Slot" Symbol, I want to assume that just means clearance slot, but am also assuming I am wrong. Anyone know that one off the top of your head?

I can't say without seeing the rest of your drawing, but the CL drawn like it is calls out the center line.

I can't say without seeing the rest of your drawing, but the CL drawn like it is calls out the center line.

Ah! Center line it is! It should have been fairly obvious with a center line running though the slot and the dimension being pulled from said center line. Thanks Jeff! I feel more competent than ever now! :)

Back