Parts/replacement for B&S 510 Micromaster SG table band ?

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is there a parts source for out of production B&S parts ? I read a post for Parker Majestic SG band by DavidR8 in Canada that apparently is still available from the OEM company but it's dimensions are quite different.
The table drum band on my 510 is starting to fail, part # 23-4700 by my manual.
It seems like it is at least similar to banding material. Is this one of those things that one must end up making ? or is there a source?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

PS: Down the road I will likely need some of the spindle "O" rings too, part # 466-64 these should probably come in a matched set, but maybe can be made by fusing poly round belting ?

Any thoughts ?

My Micromaster has the same "oriflex" drive for the spindle, they all fell to pieces, I replaced them with o rings from the local bearing house, they worked fine. If the set was from the same lot/mold, who knows?

Good to know John.
When I bought the Micromaster, I was told the belts were brand new.
Changed in 2008??
They are just fine.

David Bassing was using it, and it kept losing power, finally was not able to hardly grind at all, looked in the back and nearly all the belts were broken, trip to Napa the next day, David did the replacing, and back in business! One note, according to the manual, the motor is not to be removed to do the job, very difficult to re align, and not at all an easy job to replace the belts, all the belts need to be bunched up behind the motor pulley and then worked one at a time over the grooves of the pulleys towards the front of the machine. I suspect that my machine still had its original belts when it came to me, it was in the Bay Area in a warehouse, so probably plenty of ozone to cause rubber cracking.

Is there a parts source for out of production B&S parts ? I read a post for Parker Majestic SG band by DavidR8 in Canada that apparently is still available from the OEM company but it's dimensions are quite different.
It seems like it is at least similar to banding material. Is this one of those things that one must end up making ? or is there a source?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

PS: Down the road I will likely need some of the spindle "O" rings too, part # 466-64 these should probably come in a matched set, but maybe can be made by fusing poly round belting ?

Any thoughts ?
I don't know about your Micromaster, but mine uses a piece of timing belt to move the table manually. If this is what yours has, you could just buy a timing belt of the appropriate pitch and width and long enough to replace what is there.

For B&S parts, you can call Bourn and Koch, they'll supply most things for these machines, but at very high prices.

The Oriflex belts for B&S are a unique cross-sectional diameter, you can get ones that are close but not exactly right from MSC, and various other places. In my experience those work, but can run hot because they're just a bit too fat for the pulley grooves.

For the B&S 510 table drum band, you could make one or buy one. I have a spare that I picked up, as well as a brand new set of rollers, at an auction a while back. If you have your existing band to copy, I would think just shim stock of an appropriate thickness and width would work just fine.

the motor is not to be removed to do the job,
"very difficult to align"
I've been thinking about removing the belts to spin the motor to listen to the bearings.
Maybe I'll leave well enough alone.
I have noticed a lot of heat comes out of the motor.
The orings were replaced before I picked it up. (618 Micromaster)

"very difficult to align"
I've been thinking about removing the belts to spin the motor to listen to the bearings.
Maybe I'll leave well enough alone.
I have noticed a lot of heat comes out of the motor.
The orings were replaced before I picked it up. (618 Micromaster)

It isn't *that* bad a job, annoying definitely. you can loosen motor bolts (and remove the ones at the rear), so the motor can tip downward to reduce belt tension. Then walk all the belts forward off the motor pulley. Then the motor can be run or removed. Access to the belts is improved by removing the dust shields on the front below the spindle block.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Any thoughts ?
How different are the dimensions?
If your bands are smaller in length it would be pretty simple to cut the P-M bands to the right length. If they are too wide that's a different problem.

Thanks to all for responses. I have been in and out of hospital way too many times this year, so this refurbish project has significantly stalled. I was rewiring shop when things started to get iffy with the Drs and getting insurance companies to pay their responsibilities.....From memory David I think I had determined from your posts that the band is thinner than your Parker Majestic, I will need to recheck that when I can get back in shop. My belts were okay this last spring, but good to know that MSC has similar, thanks pjb for that tidbit, Bourn and Koch didn't seem to have the table band this last spring, but had lots of "very nice" at least by price other components.
Thanks again guys,
Jim

Back