Passivate 316 stainless

Karl_T

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
need to make a weldament out of 316.

found I should use 316L:

Plan to TIG it. any other special weld instructions?

Need to passivate also, never done this or anything like it. read this:
https://www.carpentertechnology.com/blog/how-to-passivate-stainless-steel-parts

This table is the meat of the discussion. No such thing as easy to buy nitric any more.

Capture.JPG

Found this on Amazon:

So, is 10% just this offer above 10% in water???

Need to heat to 150, can I just do this on an old stove in a restaurant food grade SS pan?

Other things I need to know??

We used to do it in a chemical plant I worked at for all the stainless steel pipe welds. Look up Pickling Paste. That is what we used, you paint it on, let it sit and apply a neutralizer and wash it off. I'm sorry but I don't recall the brand. Good luck

316L has lead in it as an anti-rust component. Used extensively in the marine industry for fittings that are routinely/continuously exposed to salt water. I'm sure it has other application, but everything on my sailboat that is ferrous material is 316L.

BTW, I got a BRAND NEW BOAT, first new boat ever in my 70 years. Milady says its my Xmas and birthday present for the next ten years.

these will be tie down brackets to hold the boat on the lift during any future 'cane.

BTW, I got a BRAND NEW BOAT, first new boat ever in my 70 years. Milady says its my Xmas and birthday present for the next ten years.

these will be tie down brackets to hold the boat on the lift during any future 'cane.
Details on your boat please.
I'm a Passport and Hinckley SW42 owner. Sister ship:

Back