Pay attention when running the lathe

HaroldT

Registered
Registered
I had finished a cutting pass with the carriage split nuts engaged on my Craftsman 10". Just as I released the split nut an employee asked a question and I turned away from the lathe. The split nut was not completely released and the carriage powered into the tail stock shredding the 16/32 tooth gear. I was so lucky that nothing else was destroyed. It could have gone so wrong. Moral of the story, the lathe will take charge if you do not.

Thanks for the safety reminder.
I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Multiple mistakes happened there.
Employees need to be trained NOT TO INTERUPT someone operating dangerous machinery.
You allowed your attention to be diverted.
You didn't make the machine safe before turning away.

Those are the big three that come to my mind.
I don't mean to pile on.
Just to delineate a bit in the hope the lessons will stick where needed.

Glad you were not injured. Lathe can be fixed.
I am always a little leery clicking subject titles like this. When I first joined this forum, someone posted a video of a guy tangled up in a lathe. I still can't un see it in my head.
Martin

I frequently have friends stop over for a visit. They have said to just go ahead and continue working. I have told them that it is hard for me to work and talk with them at the same time. I always stop what I am doing and take the time for my friends. Trying to do both either results in a safety issue or a project mistake. Neither of which I want to experience.

Blondihacks calls them "murder machines". That may be a little too over the top, but then again maybe not. I let a jaw on a 10" chuck bang my thumb once, and thank goodness I was running it at 36 RPM instead of the usual speeds. I just wasn't paying attention. We all know the rules; complacency is the enemy.

Rick "thinking that crashing his South Bend would do more damage than a couple of broken gears" Denney

Blondihacks calls them "murder machines". That may be a little too over the top, but then again maybe not. I let a jaw on a 10" chuck bang my thumb once, and thank goodness I was running it at 36 RPM instead of the usual speeds. I just wasn't paying attention. We all know the rules; complacency is the enemy.

Rick "thinking that crashing his South Bend would do more damage than a couple of broken gears" Denney
I’ve felt the “tick tick tick” of a jaw tapping my finger in a moment of complacency as well. Scared the hell out of me……now I won’t even stand in line with the chuck while its running. I stay forward of the work, trust the dials and look back at it.

Back