Peerless Surfacing Machine Co - Belt Sander (Linisher)

jrkorman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found this on Facebook Marketplace a few days ago and grabbed it quickly. The body at least is one piece cast iron, Made in England, badged and sold by Peerless. It uses a 4x36 inch belt.
Appears to be mostly original. One bolt on the adjusting end is not correct as it uses a shouldered bolt and what's there is a standard bolt with a bushing. The other side is fine. I'm not sure if the pulley is original as it is keyed and the shaft has a flat, no keyway.
I removed the pulley and the shaft and was glad that it hadn't been used recently as it was nearly dry. The shaft runs in a journal, appears to be bronze steel, which looks to use grease as its lubricant. It has a fitting on top that has a screw down cap - I am supposing here - that the journal is greased when assembled, more grease is added in the fitting and then as you use the sander, one would turn the cap to inject a bit more grease as needed.

So far I have turned up little more than a reference to the company name on Vintage Machinery, so if anyone has any information I'd be greatful.

Overall it's a well built, very solid machine and was designed to be repaired! I will post more on this thread as I tear it down and clean things up.

Jim Korman

Last edited:
Peerless is still around . ( if indeed it is the same company ) Looks like a little belt sander .

Based on the patent dates it is no older than 1911. The history on Vintage Machinery says the company in business by the late teens and purchased in the late 1920s. So I'm thinking this sander is around 100 years old.

Name plate.

Last edited:
Found this on Facebook Marketplace a few days ago and grabbed it quickly. The body at least is one piece cast iron, Made in England, badged and sold by Peerless. It uses a 4x36 inch belt.
Appears to be mostly original. One bolt on the adjusting end is not correct as it uses a shouldered bolt and what's there is a standard bolt with a bushing. The other side is fine. I'm not sure if the pulley is original as it is keyed and the shaft has a flat, no keyway.
I removed the pulley and the shaft and was glad that it hadn't been used recently as it was nearly dry. The shaft runs in a journal, appears to be bronze steel, which looks to use grease as its lubricant. It has a fitting on top that has a screw down cap - I am supposing here - that the journal is greased when assembled, more grease is added in the fitting and then as you use the sander, one would turn the cap to inject a bit more grease as needed.

So far I have turned up little more than a reference to the company name on Vintage Machinery, so if anyone has any information I'd be greatful.

Overall it's a well built, very solid machine and was designed to be repaired! I will post more on this thread as I tear it down and clean things up.

Jim Korman
View attachment 412353View attachment 412354
That would be fun to clean up.
Nice score

Back