Perplexed...not sure how to finish, or start over....

1/2 inch is nothing.

How much is it bent?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

1/2 inch is nothing.

How much is it bent?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, maybe three inches in the threaded area.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

To continue with your new part, I would either find a fitting collet, or chuck it up in a three-jaw. An ACME thread should be able to spread the clamping load over the thread and not damage the thread. If you're worried about doing damage, just slip some copper shims over the jaws first, then clamp away.

I'm pretty sure I have a 1/2" collet for the collet chick for that lathe. I probably won't get time to work on it until Friday or Saturday. Work is going to get in the way.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

That is a pretty small shaft, it will straighten fine without heat. There is quite a bit of spring when cold straightening, I put a dial on and keep track of how much spring there is before the movement is permanent.

So here is a update...

I finished the lathe work this evening. I still have to cut the key ways. This will be another interesting experience on the mill.
20230616_213025.jpg20230616_213118.jpg

It is coming along. I appreciate everyone's advice.

What is the best way to support this on the vertical mill to cut the key way for the woodruff key? I'm thinking I could hold it in a collet block secured in the vice, but I'm not sure how to support the other end that will be hanging out of the block. I have machinist jacks, but I'm not sure that helps. Any ideas/thoughts??

What is the best way to support this on the vertical mill to cut the key way for the woodruff key? I'm thinking I could hold it in a collet block secured in the vice, but I'm not sure how to support the other end that will be hanging out of the block. I have machinist jacks, but I'm not sure that helps. Any ideas/thoughts??
For the hanging end it seems to me that ideal would be a machinist jack with a v-groove, but if you can run it all the way through a collet block and choke up close to the end that you're milling with the other end hanging long out of the back of the collet block (requires a through-hole collet & block set up) then you might be OK without any support on that tail. Just my random thoughts, others may have better ideas.

Back