Pexto Shear Cleanup

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Bought this shear back in June for a few hundred. Worked, but I can't leave it in unkept condition. Completely disassembled, repainted, made a few new parts for it and reassembled.

It cuts square and clean - mostly for my purposes, can't wait to start using it for a couple of jobs I have in mind where I need to shear a couple hundred blanks.

Here is a link to the photos I took when I remembered. Someday I'll upload to the gallery and add some notes for other members to refer to in the future.

I have the exact same one. Built in 1974.

I have the exact same one. Built in 1974.
My mangled name plate says, Model 137-L, Serial 2/72. Assuming that means February 1972?

I have the back gage, but it is rust seized - possibly beyond salvaging. I also didn't get the front supports with it. Easy enough to fabricate one up if I ever need one.

I got lucky and horse traded for some front supports a guy had and no need for.

Went to an estate sale and the grandson was showing me around. Tucked way in the back under and among a bunch of lumber was one just like this. The guy gave me the dreaded “make me an offer” and I could have probably gotten it cheap. But just the logistics alone as that thing weighs a LOT along with my room quandary kept my mouth shut. Sure is a nice size and capacity though.

Nice score Bryan and really good job on the resto. Looks like new.

Went to an estate sale and the grandson was showing me around. Tucked way in the back under and among a bunch of lumber was one just like this. The guy gave me the dreaded “make me an offer” and I could have probably gotten it cheap. But just the logistics alone as that thing weighs a LOT along with my room quandary kept my mouth shut. Sure is a nice size and capacity though.

Nice score Bryan and really good job on the resto. Looks like new.

Yup. 500 lbs of fun. Tractor to load it. You see it on the car lift in one of the photos to take it out of the truck. Then it was disassembled and picked in the back of the SUV. (I don’t have a truck. :( )

Then a lot of blocking and tackling to move that thing around in the shop to clean restore and reassemble. Fun project, glad it’s over and glad I have it

I don’t anticipate going much above 22 gage, mild steel in thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t anticipate going much above 22 gage, mild steel in thickness.
That’s my range too. So far my lowly 3n1 has done that just fine but I do dream of stand-alone shear, brake and roll.

Back