Phase 2 QCTP adjustments/modifications

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I think this Phase 2 bxa is not that bad except for 1 thing. The tool lock arm ends up in a crappy over the bed position and interfiers with the back tool position. I understand I can remove it but I am curious if someone figured out a way to reposition it short of redrill and tap? I can rotate it 180 degrees but then it interfiers with the side position. I discovered they use yarn for a seal under the top piece which I replaced with a piece of felt left over from my lathe kit. I also stoned sharp edges off as well. any pointers? Ski

Is it a wedge or piston type?

I have a Dorian SQCTP & it has a feature where you can clock the handle every 15°. I don't think the Aloris & clones have this feature but I believe I heard there is a way to adjust it if you disassemble it. IIRC, the thread has 2-3 starting positions.

Is it a wedge or piston type?

I have a Dorian SQCTP & it has a feature where you can clock the handle every 15°. I don't think the Aloris & clones have this feature but I believe I heard there is a way to adjust it if you disassemble it. IIRC, the thread has 2-3 starting positions.
Wedge type.

I think this Phase 2 bxa is not that bad except for 1 thing. The tool lock arm ends up in a crappy over the bed position and interfiers with the back tool position. I understand I can remove it but I am curious if someone figured out a way to reposition it short of redrill and tap? I can rotate it 180 degrees but then it interfiers with the side position. I discovered they use yarn for a seal under the top piece which I replaced with a piece of felt left over from my lathe kit. I also stoned sharp edges off as well. any pointers? Ski

If your handle parks over the bed when tight ( more or less 180 degrees out ) loosen everything off and slide the nut out of the cross slide along with the QCTP , rotate it 180 and re install it. Or make a shim washer ( For under the top locking nut ) to adjust where the handle indexes to when in the locked position.

If your handle parks over the bed when tight ( more or less 180 degrees out ) loosen everything off and slide the nut out of the cross slide along with the QCTP , rotate it 180 and re install it. Or make a shim washer ( For under the top locking nut ) to adjust where the handle indexes to when in the locked position.
180 degrees gets into the left tool position.

I've solved the problem by spotfacing, drilling and tapping three additional handle positions at 90 degree intervals.

I start out by removing the "threaded body" from the QCTP and the ball from the handle, holding the handle with a chuck in the mill (to establish the angle), holding the threaded body (by its ends) in a tiltable (drill press) vise, and locking the angle stops. The large radius of the threaded body's flange should center between the rails of the vise, to establish a reference for rotation. Attach the vise to the mill table. [NOTE - Photos show a piston-type QCTP, but they'd be the same for the wedge-type]

kHPIM3090.jpg

Loosen the handle from the chuck and use it to rotate the threaded body by 90 degrees I use an angle cube on the handle - no need for super precision, but I do try to be as accurate as possible.

kHPIM3091.jpg

Then use a suitable center cutting end mill to form a spotface on the curved surface of the flange. Finally, drill & tap thru with the correct thread pattern for the handle. Rinse and repeat.

kHPIM3093.jpgkHPIM3097.jpg

kHPIM3090.jpg kHPIM3091.jpg kHPIM3093.jpg kHPIM3097.jpg

I find the easiest way to do this is to position the handle where you want it, measure the space under the handle mount with a feeler gauge, then make a washer from any available type of plastic. 15 minute job it you have the plastic stock around.

Steve T

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

I find the easiest way to do this is to position the handle where you want it, measure the space under the handle mount with a feeler gauge, then make a washer from any available type of plastic. 15 minute job it you have the plastic stock around.

Steve T

Simple is good!

Brian

The easy way is to remove the entire post then unscrew the handle until the tapered gibs fall out the keep trying in different positions. It's a multi start screw barrel so different arrangements are to be found. Mine also came clocked wrong and I did this procedure and got it exactly right and the I returned the toolpost because it was garbage and bought a dorian.

Back